Sign in to follow this  
JKLOCK

Blood Knot VS. Uni to Uni-Test Results

There is always a lot of discussion about which knot is the best to connect a leader to your fishing line.  So, I decided to run a test of my own to answer the question.

I have no preference in the outcome as I use both knots.   I like the blood knot because the ends meet in the center and the knot seems a little more compact.  I can tie the uni to uni a little faster so, on the water, I use it.

I decided to check the relative strengths of each knot.  I did it in a rather unscientific manner but my test was very consistent so I believe the results.  Here's how I ran the test.

I cut two pieces of mono line two feet in length.  I then put the two pieces together by first tying a uni to uni knot.  Then, I tied a blood knot in the in other two ends.  So, now I have a closed loop with uni to uni on one side and a blood knot on the other.  By the way, I used a 6 turn uni to uni and a 6 turn blood knot for the test.  I then looped the line around a smooth handle of a door knob.  I carefully made sure the knots were in the center of the loop and were opposite each other.  I then pulled the line from the other end with a ring so as not to put undue pressure on either side of the line.  The results were the uni to uni knot won every time in five tests.  The line always broke at the blood knot.  Therefore, in my mind, the uni to uni is a stronger knot.

SeniorBasser

And do the same with one piece of braid and one piece of mono.  You may get different results with different diameters as well.

OK Bubba, you made a believer out of me!  I ran the test as outlined in the uni to uni versus the blood knot above;  however, his time I used 30 pound Powerpro and 17 pound fluorocarbon.  Since I have never used or even tied an Improved Albright Knot, I had to look it up on the web.  The following video is the method I used to tie the Improved Albright Knot for the test.

http://www.adventurebound.com.au/reviews/gear/how_to_-_improved_albright_knot.ht...

I used 8 turns with the Powerpro in the forward direction and 4 turns in the overlap with 4 more turns through the loop of the flurocarbon.  With the uni to uni, I used 8 turns with both the PowerPro and the Fluorocarbon.

The Improved Albright won the test 5 out of 6 attempts!  Needless to say, I'm changing my attach method henceforth.  I really like the Improved Albright.  I noted it was a little longer than the uni to uni however, was much slimmer and more compact.  Thanks Bubba for the challenge.

SeniorBasser

The Uni-knot has excellent knot-strength, and is remarkably universal (hence the name).

It's commonly used for joining lines of different materials, it's perfect for tying to large plugs

with several treble hooks (try that with a palomar). In short, the uni-knot can be used

for tying anything to anything, including dropper loops and branch rigs.

Ironically, some anglers will tie to their lure using a 13-twist Improved Schawallika

then join their leader and main-line using a Uni-knot :;)  

Roger

JKLock,

If you have time can you test a No Name Knot/Bristol, on the leader end (flouro or mono) to bimini twist on mainline (braid).

Here is a link on how to do it:

Here is a link for the bimini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjrV9gl3OkU

You can vary the loop size for freshwater applications, I really never go more than 10-12 turns and use my finger or nail on a board when tying it. If I have the time I use this knot, but on the water uni to uni is what I tie most of the time.

It would be great to see how it test.