Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Weightless and t-rigged soft plastics

Im looking into getting a shimano crucial or compre spinning rod for throwing weightless and t-rigged soft plastics. I really have my eye on the 6'8" medium power, extra fast models. My question is would the extra fast action be too fast? Should I go with fast action instead? It will be paried with a saros 2500. Any other recommendations/suggetions for this application are certainly welcome. Thanks.

Hmmm, funny you ask, I'm looking at the same rods..I'll be mounting a 2500 Shara on mine..so I'm thinking the xf, cuz I already have a Diawa mf..I think you should get whatever works best for you..btw, I toss alot of weightless 4" to 6" roboworms too.

I have a fenwick HMG 6'6" medium power, moderate fast action rod that I find to be excellent for small to medium crankbaits and spinners. Not quite fast enough for the soft plastics though so I'm looking to make an addition. Also want to add the 7' medium heavy HMG for larger cranks and spinners but one thing at a time...

I would definitely go with the extra-fast for the aforementioned techniques.  The XF will be more crisp, not to mention it also squeezes a little more sensitivity out of the blank.  I prefer XF rods for any bait I have to set the hook.  

Im looking into getting a shimano crucial or compre spinning rod for throwing weightless and t-rigged soft plastics. I really have my eye on the 6'8" medium power, extra fast models. My question is would the extra fast action be too fast? Should I go with fast action instead? It will be paried with a saros 2500. Any other recommendations/suggetions for this application are certainly welcome. Thanks.

Nope, it won 't be "too fast" specially when it comes to weightless plastics.

For someone who is on a budget, is the crucial worth the extra $40-50?

For someone who is on a budget, is the crucial worth the extra $40-50?

Yup, but if you don 't have the extra cash you can still get a Compre, great rod for the money.