Sign in to follow this  
cyph3r

yo-zuri hybrid and froggin

is 15lb test wayyy too light for froggin in pads? fish are going to be 5lbs and under. should i go for braid or will this be sufficent?

Not only is it sufficient, I prefer it to braid. 15lb YZ Hybrid breaks at 21.5 lbs.  So it is plenty strong.  It has less stretch than mono so you can get strong hooksets.  But it has more stretch than braid, so you can crank your drag down.   The line is slick and it is stiffer than braid. It slips through muck and weeds. It doesn't get wrapped around every little sprig, spout, leaf, weed, cattail, chunk of bark, and duck-blind splinter. So you won't need braid's so-called wonderous "cutting" ability. I've stopped using braid all together and ONLY use Yo-Zuri Hybrid 15lb for frogging.

Not only is it sufficient, I prefer it to braid. 15lb YZ Hybrid breaks at 21.5 lbs. So it is plenty strong. It has less stretch than mono so you can get strong hooksets. But it has more stretch than braid, so you can crank your drag down. The line is slick and it is stiffer than braid. It slips through muck and weeds. It doesn't get wrapped around every little sprig, spout, leaf, weed, cattail, chunk of bark, and duck-blind splinter. So you won't need braid's so-called wonderous "cutting" ability. I've stopped using braid all together and ONLY use Yo-Zuri Hybrid 15lb for frogging.

That's one of the better posts I've read lately.  Certainly better than anything I've written lately!   ;D

is 15lb test wayyy too light for froggin in pads? fish are going to be 5lbs and under. should i go for braid or will this be sufficent?

This is simple GO TO BRAID!!! The frogs like Spro and Bobby's Perfect frog need a good hard hookset and Braid can give you that even from a mile away!! I can't stress this enough I would put all my fishing gear on the line that your hook up ratio is double with braid over any other fluro,hybrid, or mono. The braid will also slice threw the pads often times resulting in you landing more fish.