Sign in to follow this  
vatech

hand pain when casting

At the start of summer I purchased the BPS Pro Qualifer combo to begin learning how to use baitcasters.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102398____SearchResults

This combo is causing me hand pain. At the start of the day, my first cast causes me so much pain that I think I might not be able to fish. Gradually the pain lessens until around after 10 casts I no longer notice anything. The pain occurs at the base of my thumb in the thick fleshier part of the hand and partly along the thumb.

I saw that some weight balancing kits exist at the store but none fit my particular rod. I'm thinking I could add some weight with washers and ducktape to the bottom of the rod myself but I would enjoy not having a ghetto looking rig. Is this even the way to go?

It's not the balance causing the pain....Willing to bet it is the POWER HUMP that is causing the pain.

Before I started building my own rods, I had an old 90's power hump and it caused the same pain your describing.....

Take the rod back and get a straight grip rod, or modify the grip on the rod you have and get rid of the hump....

Good Luck & Tight Lines Without Pain!!!!!

I agree. Some guys love the power hump like me, but others have discomfort when using it. Mat also be a problem with your hand.

Once again the Reel Mechanic is right on the money, IMO!!  I do alot of cranking deep and shallow and I started out with the cranking sticks which is a great rod for the cash really nice action but its got that darn hump with killed my wrist and hand in the same area you are speaking of at first i thought it was due to an old wrist injury i switched off to the straight handle rods and have actually gone to the split handles now and have no problem.  Its gotta be the Hump!!!!!!