Sign in to follow this  
Nkybassfisherman

what is backing?

If money is no object, you can fill a spool completely up 2-3 times a year and never use backing.  If you're like many of us who try and save money as much as possible along with wanting to change and put fresh line on our rigs several times a year, you merely spool about 1/4 to 1/3 of the spool with any junk line and then fill the rest with your premium mono, flouro or braid.  Since you're only using the top 1/2 of the line on most reels anyway it's something of wasted money to put high $$ line down directly on the spool.  

bbb

If money is no object, you can fill a spool completely up 2-3 times a year and never use backing. If you're like many of us who try and save money as much as possible along with wanting to change and put fresh line on our rigs several times a year, you merely spool about 1/4 to 1/3 of the spool with any junk line and then fill the rest with your premium mono, flouro or braid. Since you're only using the top 1/2 of the line on most reels anyway it's something of wasted money to put high $$ line down directly on the spool.

do you spool the backing and then tape it off and then spool your main line or do you connect your line to the backing with some type of knot??

thanks.

I used to use backing line when I would put on fresh line after the first loading of a reel. I tied it directly to the backing (older) line. Like Cart said, it's a waste of line. You will feel the knot slide across your finger or under your thumb when you start getting low on fresh line.

Something that I've started doing, though, is wrapping a strip of leather around my spools. It takes up the amount of space that I used to leave for backing. I get scraps from a buddy that does leather-work and it comes in various thickness'. I apply it with upholstery glue. One advantage is that if you use a line conditioner, the leather will absorb it and let it 'leak' back out.

bbb
If money is no object, you can fill a spool completely up 2-3 times a year and never use backing. If you're like many of us who try and save money as much as possible along with wanting to change and put fresh line on our rigs several times a year, you merely spool about 1/4 to 1/3 of the spool with any junk line and then fill the rest with your premium mono, flouro or braid. Since you're only using the top 1/2 of the line on most reels anyway it's something of wasted money to put high $$ line down directly on the spool.

do you spool the backing and then tape it off and then spool your main line or do you connect your line to the backing with some type of knot??

thanks.

I spool the backing and then use a blood knot

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

to join them together. A fairly easy knot to tie and I've used it successfully for many years. It works on any type of line union, mono to Braid, mono - mono, mono - flouro. Walmart sells cheap Shakespeare mono large spools for about $2 - 3 a spool. It makes great backing line.

I only back for braid line. I cover the spool with mono so it has a good layer and you can't see the spool base then use a Uni-Uni knot to attach the braid. I only do this to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool.