Sign in to follow this  
coontreer

New Rod

So, right before the carrot stix bashing thread got closed, I asked to give me a rod in that price range that is as lite and sensitive.

Well I am actually in the market for a new rod. Something around 7' MH. I would like to find something at least close to the carrot in weight. This is an honest question, I have two carrot stix, and want to try something else. I have never handled a powell, or kistler, or other rods like that. Is there something for around $200 that is close to the carrot in weight?

The Carrot Stix are gonna be lighter than most rods in their range, a minimalist rod.  The Kistlers and Powells are similar to each other, the powells feel a bit more tip heavy but balance a little better with heavier reels.  I have and fish all three brands, I also have and Avid that is a in that price, it's a little heavier than any of the other mentioned, seems to be a beefier blank.  The best way to decide is to physically hold the rod before you purchase one if possible.  There are always little things that you may not like and won't know until you hold it.  If I had held a carrot stix gold first, i don't think I would have one, tips a bit spongy, but it makes a heck of a shallow crank rod.

Well unfortunately, I dont know of anywhere locally that I can handle a Kistler, or Powell, or any other rod not sold at BPS.  :'(

I dont expect to find anything as lite as the carrot, but would like to find something close.  I also have a 7'6" Mojo, and it feels like I am picking up a steel rod, after fishing the Carrot Stick.

Oh and by the way, it doesnt have to be a Kistler, or Powell, I am open to anything. I just have some extra money, and want to try something new. I love my Stix, but have no loyalty, if I find something I like better I will sell them in a second. ;)

Oh and by the way, it doesnt have to be a Kistler, or Powell, I am open to anything. I just have some extra money, and want to try something new. I love my Stix, but have no loyalty, if I find something I like better I will sell them in a second. ;)

Sounds like me, I have two Kistler Magnesiums, a Powell Max, Damiki Dark Angel, Castaway Big Show, St. Croix Avid, Carrot Stix LTX, Carrot Stix Gold, Lucky Craft Cranking Rod, and a BPS Pro Qualifier.  All were bought either here, on ebay, or Tackle Warehouse sight unseen, except the LTX, Avid, and the Pro Qualifier.  The PQ and LTX were bought at BPS and the avid at dicks and were handled before purchase.  I have been lucky that I have liked all the rods I have gotten so far but it pays to be able to handle them.  The Kistlers and Powell rods are lighter than the Castaway and the Avid I have, the damiki is around the same weight, the lucky craft is probably the heaviest but its fiberglass.  If you haven't checked out the Avid at BPS you should do so, they also carry falcon, quantum, and I think they started carrying kistler but they aren't in all stores  

I just ordered a Powell 683C I'll let you know how it feels when I get it in 2 days if you'd like.

I would recommend Powell Max 704C, Kistler Argon 7' 1" or a Shimano Cumara(closer in weight). I have all three brands and love them all. Although the Powell is the best for the $ IMO.