Sign in to follow this  
bassheel

help on a 7:1 reel

What are the reasons for owning a fast reel like this.what apps would be to my advantage. Lipless,spinnerbaits or the like?what app. would you use a 5:1 beside cranking. The reason Im asking is all new reels seem to come out in these two ratios( within my budget). I really want a new curado but I really want one in 6:1 ratio. I still love my old greenie B's.

The advantage in a 7:1:1 would be burning a Rat-L-Trap, spinnerbait or buzzbait etc with little effort. You can also reel slack line faster when a fish runs towards you. Or make more casts to a strike zone by spending less time reeling in once your lure is out of the strike zone. Slower reels are usually preferred for deep cranks, swimbaits and sometimes flipping heavy cover. It acts as a winch allowing you to work baits deep/slow through the waters resistance with little effort.

This may be bad but as a personal preference I stay away from the higher ratio reels.  I like 6.4.1 for spinners,topwaters etc and a 5.x.1 for  cranks / swim baits and flipping reel.

I like the 7:1 for worm/jig fishing so I can reel up any slack line fast.  The 6.x:1 is pretty much good for anything and the 5:1's are nice for cranking, and I guess you could use it too for slowrolling spinners.

The advantage in a 7:1:1 would be burning a Rat-L-Trap, spinnerbait or buzzbait etc with little effort. You can also reel slack line faster when a fish runs towards you. Or make more casts to a strike zone by spending less time reeling in once your lure is out of the strike zone. Slower reels are usually preferred for deep cranks, swimbaits and sometimes flipping heavy cover. It acts as a winch allowing you to work baits deep/slow through the waters resistance with little effort.

x2..well said..but most important....IT KEEPS YOUR LURE IN THE WATER MORE OFTEN due to the speed of it getting back to you and you being able to get it back out there in the zone faster and more often.more time in the water/strike zone=more fish for you.btw for the 2010 season 7.1 isnt the fast anymore..now we have 7.3  

Out of 12 setups, I only have one 7:1 reel. It is for lipless cranks only. The rest are 6:1 and 5:1 and they cover everything else.

I personally am partial to 6.4 reels and prefer them to 7.1, that being said, I have 4 a Curado E7, Energy PT, and 2 Patriarchs, one 71LP, the other 71WLP.  I have all my high speed reels for apps that don't require the reel to move the bait, worms, jigs, flipping.  I like a 6.4 for spinnerbaits, small t-rigs, swimbaits, and topwater.  5.1 for cranks