Sign in to follow this  
xxroosterxx

deep crankin reel and rod help

hey guys i have 400 dollars to spend on a deep cranking rod and reel. i will mainly be using this set up for dd22's and i wanted your input on a rod and reel. thanks

Curado E5 or a Fritts 4.7:1 combined with a Quantum KVD 7'10 or an American Rodsmiths 7'6.

When it comes to DD22's (or any other true deep crankbait), the longer the rod the better.

Curado E5 or a Fritts 4.7:1 combined with a Quantum KVD 7'10 or an American Rodsmiths 7'6.

When it comes to DD22's (or any other true deep crankbait), the longer the rod the better.

what advantage does the longer rod have? casting distance? or something more

thanks for the quick replies, big rick how do you like the lucky craft rod i haven't found anyone who sells them around here to get my hands on one yet

I have the 7'mh and really like it.  Use it for mostly deep divers, have a few dd22s, but mostly sk series5-6, fat free shads, and deep little n's.  It's a great rod, quiet sensitive for all fiberglass, a little on the heavy side but lighter than a bps crankin stick of similar size.

Revo winch spooled with 15lb fluoro and a BPS Crankin Stick in MH/F

I know what I'm waiting for is the new cumara 7'11" crankbait rod, with a curado E5.

I know what I'm waiting for is the new cumara 7'11" crankbait rod, with a curado E5.

That's exactly what I would have said...wait for that new Cumara to come out and stack it up with an E5 and you're set! Although...I do have an STX on my cranking stick, which I prefer because you can speed it up or slow it down at a 6.4:1 ratio!

A 7'4" Quantum Tour Edition KVD Crankbait rod with a Pflueger Trion baitcast reel in a 5.2:1 gear ratio.

Increased casting distance translates into more time in the strike zone.

Here's a rough diagram I made a few months ago illustrating the difference between a short cast and a long cast.

deepdivercomparison1.jpg

You're doing yourself a disservice if you throw a true deep diver (>15') on a 7' rod.

Increased casting distance translates into more time in the strike zone.

Here's a rough diagram I made a few months ago illustrating the difference between a short cast and a long cast.

deepdivercomparison1.jpg

You're doing yourself a disservice if you throw a true deep diver (>15') on a 7' rod.

I see you hit a log on the bottom with the longer cast bet that's where the fish was :)

xxroosterXX: not so great, there are two near town, one sucks and the other isn't bank accessible. I spend most of my time at Cedar Creek, what little time I have to fish lately that is. That's usually as far as I go, have been down to lake linville and cumberland a few times

Curado E5

Crucial 7'11" Crankbait Rod

This is the perfect deep cranking setup in my opinion. You could spend more money but I don't think you could get a better setup. This leaves you close to $100 to spend on a new box full of dd22's, rapala dt20's among others.

I don't  use DD22's much up here, but when I go to Georgia a lake I fish I use SPRO deep divers. I use a St. Croix Avid AC200 and a Falcon Lowrider 7'6" M BC rod. I know a MH rod would be better, but this is the longest rod I have and don't have any problems w it.

So does the increased length of the rod increase the casting distance or does the action of the rod increase the casting distance? Wouldn't a 7' Med action rod cast a lure futher than a 7' 6" Heavy action.  I would think that the loading and unloading of the rod action increases casting distance not the length.

If you want to go with a loomis cranking rod I suggest you pick the 847 as the 843 and 845 are overloaded (IMHO) with a true deep crankbait(Hot Lips. 20+'s or DD22).

I just ordered a St Croix Legend Tournament 7'10" cranking rod for this same use. I have not received it yet so no evaluation available. I ordered a Revo winch to pair with the St Croix.........Al