Sign in to follow this  
soccplayer07

spinner bait/crank rod?

Hello all. Would a 7' med action fast tip make a good cranking/spinner bait rod???

I like the Powell 683c a TON.  It is 6'8 MH/EF but handles more like a M/EF Powell overrates their rods.  Its a great versatile rod with a solid back bone, fishes worms, spinners and shallow cranks extremely well.

Like stated above, i prefer a MH/f for my crankin'/spinnerbait needs. A lot more versatility imo!

Depends on the weight of the spinnerbait you're throwing.  I generally throw 1/2 to 1 oz. spinnerbaits, so I prefer a MH/F rod.  For the times I use a lighter spinnerbait, for pinpointing holes, I go to my topwater/jerkbait rod, a 6-2 MXF rod.  Something in the 6-6 to 6-8 range, with the same action and power would be perfect for this, though.  I just have no need for another rod.

Wouldn't most people want a parabloic rod for cranks and something with a fast tip for spinnerbaits?

Wouldn't most people want a parabloic rod for cranks and something with a fast tip for spinnerbaits?

Yep, but not everyone wants / can afford a designated rod for each technique so they look for the best multipurpose rod for what they want.

Flame away, but my 6'9" MH/F carrot stix are great for cranks and spinnerbaits up to 3/8oz.  When I am in my float tube, these are the two that I bring with me.  I don't like to carry more than 2 setups bc it's a hassle.  They cover most techniques quite well.