Sign in to follow this  
The Yankee Fist

Gotta ask one more time before I order TODAY ... BCR854GLX VS MBR844C GLX VS BCR855GLX

I really have been listening and researching ad nauseum and gotta make a move ;D

Need to fish anything 1/4-1oz, able to cast long lengths, able to make accurate shorter casts and have plenty of power should I need it.

MBR844C GLX...Good all around rod?......should do what a similar 3 power would do so with my GLX 2 power spinning rod I think this will be a good 1-2 mostly bass, some other species rig.

BCR854 GLX....Good all around rod or am I dreaming?

BCR855 GLX.....I GOTTA be crazy right? ;D

I have the IMX 844 and it is all that and more. I throw as light as 1/8 oz with it and as much as 1 ounce.  The power is phenomenal and the sensitivity has me spoiled.

Can't imagine how awesome the GLX must be.

I own two of the 844's in IMX.  I really like these rods a lot.  I use them for jigs, texas rigs, weightless senkos, and even frogs.  I have not fished the BCR854 but my understanding is that this rod is a little stiffer (some say a half power heavier) which might make casting lighter lures more difficult.  Another vote for the MBR844c.

I have both the MBR844 (in IMX) and the BCR854 (in GLX).  I use my MBR844 for pitching into heavier cover and around wood.  I use my BCR854 for weighted plastics in sparse to medium density cover.  If you are looking for an "all around" rod with the lure weight rating you mentioned, I would highly suggest the MBR844.  Also, another benifit to the MBR844 is that is does not have ReCoil guides.  I don't mind the ReCoil guides, but I don't like to use braid with them (it makes an odd noise when you cast).  

I have both the MBR844 (in IMX) and the BCR854 (in GLX). I use my MBR844 for pitching into heavier cover and around wood. I use my BCR854 for weighted plastics in sparse to medium density cover. If you are looking for an "all around" rod with the lure weight rating you mentioned, I would highly suggest the MBR844. Also, another benifit to the MBR844 is that is does not have ReCoil guides. I don't mind the ReCoil guides, but I don't like to use braid with them (it makes an odd noise when you cast).

I have both in the GLX version. I have a slight preference for the

MBR844C, but you will REALLY like either rod! Note: My main

rig for smallmouth is a GLX PR844S/ Stella 2500FD which I use mostly

for live bait. I have the same rod in the baitcasting version, PR844C/

Shimano Core that I use for "moving" lures.

8-)

I have the rods you've mentioned in GLX.  They all have their benefits.  The MBR 844 is going to be the best "all purpose" rod of the bunch.  I'd prefer the 855 for 3/4 oz football jigs, pitching into heavier cover, and it makes an insane toad (not FROG) rod.  The 854 is also a great rod that I like for 10" worms in deeper water.  Both the BCR's are "less moderate" in action than the MBR, but the BCR's feel more crisp in my hands.  Any rod you select will be great!

Another for the 844. Jeez...this is going to be easy ;D

For what I see, there seems to be a vote in favor of every one, but for what you stated you wanted it for, the MBR844C seems to be the way to go.

I have 2 844c's in GLX and 1 854 in GLX.

That should tell you my vote. Both are great rods but I like the 844 just a hair better...........Al

Another for the 844. Jeez...this is going to be easy ;D

For what I see, there seems to be a vote in favor of every one, but for what you stated you wanted it for, the MBR844C seems to be the way to go.

I'd love to just buy them all ;D

I do think you and the others are right though...seems the 844 is probably the most versatile for my needs.

To complicate things more, I checked out a review of the BCR 803...seems more power than the mbr3 and may work as well. ::P:)

Never had either in my hand, but was looking for an 844 or 854 for the last 2 weeks. Bronzefly is full of great info and I learned a lot about Loomis rods from him. I wanted a toad/ big TX rig rod which would eventually become just a big TX rig rod. "Wait till you get out of school before you buy anymore rods." - wife. I figured for the bottom contact baits that the BCR would be my ticket. I didn't want a Mossyback so I search for two weeks and finally found an 854 GLX.

I have an MBR783 IMX that I have only thrown once and I love it. You will probably make your purchase before I get the BCR in the mail otherwise I could give you a better comparison. Since you seem to want an all around rod, I would vote 844 as well.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond and give your thoughts and advice. It is very much appreciated and has helped immeasurably.

i am 99.9 percent settled on the 844 but they all seem to have their "thing" that sets them apart.

If I had a boat I would LOAD that ***** with all kinds of Loomis rods, Shimano reels and then of course, lots of bass~!

But I don't so...here I am trying to "one size fits all" ;D ;D ;D ;D

At least I'm getting one hell of a good education here :)