Sign in to follow this  
Bigs

Just bought Daiwa Fuego and Sol

Went to bass pro shops in Ashland VA this weekend and picked up 3 new Daiwa reels. The 2 baitcasters were the Sol and Fuego. I love them both and so far Im amazed. I put the sol on a shimano inshore series 7 froot rod for fishing grass beds and lilly pads. And I put the Fuego on a 7 foot Bass pro extreme rod. 30 pound braided on the sol and 20 pound braided on the fuego. They both cast longer then any other baitcaster I have ever seen casted personally. And the accuracy is pin point. Im gonna go back and get one more feugo and a zillion baitcaster as well. I figure 4 good baitcasters and Im good to go.

I also bought a Team Daiwa PRO 2500-6Bi spinning reel for throwing senkos and love it so far. Caught a nice LMB on it as soon as I got it home with a white senko. The reel handled that bass splendidly and I couldnt be happier. That reel was probably the best reel I have ever gotten for the money(100 bux on sale).

Altho Im sure all these reels have been covered before, I just wanted to share my experience for anyone considering any of these reels. Of course I will have to post back up in 6 months once these have withstood thousands of casts and hundreds of fish(hopefully). But so far so good.

congrats...both are beautiful reels. i have a fuego and am looking to add a sol to my collection. curious though...why did you put 30 lb. test on the sol and 20 lb. test on the fuego? it should be the other way around. the sol should handle the thinner line better as well as casting lighter lures better.

btw, how much were they in the store?

So when are you going to upgrade your rods to match your fantastic new reels?

FWIW, frank is right about the light line stuff. The Sol was made to throw lighter baits on lighter line but I think you'll find its capable of throwing the same stuff as other reels perfectly fine.

Were they both on sale in the store?

I'm using the sol for fishing grassbeds in brackish water hence the bigger line. In fact I'm gonna pick up a few nice rods next trip to BPS. I didnt bring enough cash to get everything I wanted this time  :'( I guess I didnt realize how fast it would all add up. And the fuego is gonna be strictly a lake reel due to it being magnesium. So thats why I did 20 pound test instead of 30. Both reels cast fantastic the way they are strung believe me. I was throwing it alot further then I thought I'd be the first day, no backlash, no birds nest nada. I'm goin back and gettin a zillion as well as another fuego. While I'm there I'll pick up a few higher end rods too. Who makes the best crankbait reel for $250 or less ? Should I get the zillion 4.9 ? So maybe the 4.9 and the 7.1? Or what would be a more complete line up considering what I already have ? I know I need a good crankbait reel like the 4.9 but should I bother with a 7.1 or just get another all around reel with 6.3 ratio ? I'm trying to have no more then 4 good baitcasters with each one servin one specific purpose. Also what should be my go-to frog rod ? Is the 7 foot teramar inshore not good enough , does it even make for a good frog rod ?

oh and yes they were both 199 at the store, same as online but thats still less then alot of places sell it for so I got it for as cheap as I could have. And no Jake, no blackcock bass this time, and no original fishing snake either lol. I gotta find someone who has one so I can test it out tho  :)

oh and yes they were both 199 at the store, same as online but thats still less then alot of places sell it for so I got it for as cheap as I could have. And no Jake, no blackcock bass this time, and no original fishing snake either lol. I gotta find someone who has one so I can test it out tho :)

Well, you got it for as cheap as you could have at retail....I bought my Fuego slightly used for $110.  ;D $200 is still a very good price for a new Fuego at retail. I understand your decision about the Magnesium and brackish water, good thinking.

Good deal on both reels, I got both of mine slightly used on ebay as well, but there's no questioning the integrity of a new reel.  

Congrats on your purchase!  I love all my daiwa products.  I ve sold shimanos and revos to buy more Daiwa.  Youll be a new man once you catch your first fish with the new reels.

Great reels. Had both; still have Sol. I've heard good thinks about the Zillion high power if you are strictly looking for a cb rod. I would also look at the Shimano Chronarch D5, but it seems you like you some Daiwas. I would only get a 7:1 gear ratio if you planned on dedicating it to frog, flippin/pitchin, or bottom contact plastics/jigs. If you are thinking multi purpose then I would go 6.3:1'ish range. It can do what the 7:1 can do, but for some reason I have a tough time slowing down a 7:1 when I want it to do what a 6.3:1 would be suited for. :)

I'm using the sol for fishing grassbeds in brackish water hence the bigger line. In fact I'm gonna pick up a few nice rods next trip to BPS. I didnt bring enough cash to get everything I wanted this time :'( I guess I didnt realize how fast it would all add up. And the fuego is gonna be strictly a lake reel due to it being magnesium. So thats why I did 20 pound test instead of 30. Both reels cast fantastic the way they are strung believe me. I was throwing it alot further then I thought I'd be the first day, no backlash, no birds nest nada. I'm goin back and gettin a zillion as well as another fuego. While I'm there I'll pick up a few higher end rods too. Who makes the best crankbait reel for $250 or less ? Should I get the zillion 4.9 ? So maybe the 4.9 and the 7.1? Or what would be a more complete line up considering what I already have ? I know I need a good crankbait reel like the 4.9 but should I bother with a 7.1 or just get another all around reel with 6.3 ratio ? I'm trying to have no more then 4 good baitcasters with each one servin one specific purpose. Also what should be my go-to frog rod ? Is the 7 foot teramar inshore not good enough , does it even make for a good frog rod ?

nuttin tops the zillion crazy cranker..NUTTIN..i love mine,i have alot of reels shimano and everything under the sun and none of them come close to the power of that reel id trade any shimano or anyother for that reel again..youll love it for crankers,it makes them dig down and dance they way they are ment to.

Both the Sol and Fuego are great reels.  I've paid retail and also shopped around for some really great deals.  Good luck with your ventures.

Regards

Joe

Headed back to basspro today and Im gonna check out the Nitro Big bass rod/reel combo as well as the zillion if they have it. I called there yesterday and got some guy who didnt know a d**n thing. So I'll have to see what they have in person. Since I already have a 5.8:1 with the sol and a 6.3:1 with the fuego , logic would tell me to get the crankbait reel which is something like 4.9:1 and then the zillion for high speed which comes 7.1:1 and 7.3:1. Should I get the anniversary edition which is actually slightly cheaper and a tad faster or just the regular zillion 7.1:1? Also anyone using St croix mojo rods ? Im considering pickin one up today as well. Or should I step up and spend more to get the avid series ? This would be pairing up with either my zillion or even another sol if I decide to get one. Oh and I walked out with a free PFD vest with all the points I earned on my rewards card last time with my 1150 dollar purchase  ::)

Go for at least the Avid, otherwise you're just going to want to upgrade later.

Ya I think I'll get the 7 foot medium avid and put my sol on it cuz Im buying a coastal to put on my teramar inshore rod so the sol will need a rod. Altho Im gonna restring the sol and start using it for finesse fishing so will medium be the right choice for the avid ? I also have a zillion anniversary on its way and Im thinkin bout puttin it on the zillion rod after hearing good things about it. And for my last baitcaster purchase for now Im gonna get the daiwa zillion crazy cranker but Im not sure what rod to pair it with. So my freshwater lineup is gonna be the sol, fuego, crazy cranker and the zillion 7.3:1. I saw a zillion anniversary on ebay buy it now for 200 bux yet no one has bought it. It seems fishy due to the " no returns" status so Im gonna stay away from it regardless of their good feedback. Anyone use the zillion PE, its a jdm reel and theres 2 on ebay. Big bucks tho.