Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Perhaps a way to get introduced to Baitcasters?

When my wife and I go fishing,she uses a microlight Spincasting outfit. She sometimes asks if she can use my Baitcasting outfits. I explain to her that they are pretty complicated and take some time to get used to and master.

Its obvious she wants an upgrade to something bigger so I went out and purchased a couple of Spidercast STSC550 reels off Ebay. They are shaped just like a baitcaster,but without all the necessary adjustment/cast control knobs of a baitcaster.No birdsnests to worry about either.I know they may not have the same gear ratio for crankbaits and such but should get my wife started on Senkos,Poppers and Scumfrogs type baits. I may use one for myself when fishing docks and tight areas . I normally use a Zebco 33 for those areas,but they are difficult to palm and cause some cramping after an extended time. These Spidercast reels probably cast just as well and can be palmed easier.

Any thoughts?

022-3.jpg

023.jpg

024-2.jpg

025.jpg

I'll bet with a little instruction your wife would do fine with a baitcaster. You'll never know unless you give her a shot.

;)

X2

I gave mine a shot and she did not do that bad actually! She can cast my Revo STX with no backlash but not very far, LOL!

I agree with the above.  I learned on my own so it was a little difficult at first.  Last week i went out with my buddy and his little brother and we were teaching him to baitcast and he didnt get one backlash at all.  With someone there teaching you it will be a lot easier.  If its a high quality baitcaster the brakes and cast control should help enough to avoid backlashes.  Casting far is when they start to come into affect.  Teach her shell appreciate it when she masters it.... We all do!!!

I wish my girlfriend could get the hang of a baitcaster. She always wants to give it a shot and I always end up respooling.   :'(

That actually looks pretty cool.  Where can you get one?  I googled it, searched Ebay, and didn't find anything but a Mitchell Spidercast that doesn't look like that.  I might have to have one of those.  Is it just like a spincast reel that looks like a baitcaster?

You know how long it took me to learn a baitcast. about 3 casts. With a little instruction it is simple. The first one I ever threw was a Shimano SG, it was a mess. I did not try again for a while after that. But one day I picked up an old round Abu(the red one) and practiced. 3 casts. Just tell her remember to use thumb control.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you sold her short by telling her it's complicated to learn how to use a baitcaster. In reality it really isn't, especially if you have someone to teach you.

Since she already knows how to use a spincast reel, this is going to be an even easier transition for her, because the mechanics of the casts for both are similar.

Properly set the reel to the weight and hand her the setup and instruct her on what the thumb does before, during and after the cast and tell her that no matter what happens, she needs to have her thumb stop the spool from spinning before the lure hits anything, be it the water, the ground, or a shrub. People get that, even little kids.

With a properly set reel, that is all a beginner needs to know. I'm with Bigtimfish. I have a buddy who I told the exact same thing and he learned within three casts, and he never even knew what a baitcaster was. I also told him it was the easiest reel to use (confidence booster). Over a 4 hour period of fishing, he only backlashed once.

That reel looks pretty slick for a spincaster but I'd step her up to a casting reel now. 8-)

Good luck with the teaching. You both have an excuse, I mean reason to add a new casting reel to the arsenal. ;)

First, there's no reason why she can't learn, my wife took to baitcasters pretty quick.

Step one.  Practice away from the lake when you're not fishing.  Your remark tends to indicate that you didn't want to be troubled by taking the time to show her how while you were busy fishing.

Step 2.  Make sure her rod is about a medium action.  You want a tip that loads quickly and helps get the lure traveling through the air.

I'd suggest an Extreme by BPS.  You can get them fairly cheap on ebay.  IIRC, BPS was selling last years reels for $40.  They're pretty decent casters to learn on for a first timer.  The ITB braking works pretty well.  

Well I tried to introduce her to spinning reels and she just wasnt having it,so I didnt think she would spend a whole lot of time trying a baitcaster.

My wife said she loves her Spidercast reel I got her. She has a thing for Black widow spiders(Dont ask). She was tickled,says she never thought she would ever expect to get excited at recieving a new reel,as she doesnt fish often,but when she does,she loves it.

That actually looks pretty cool. Where can you get one? I googled it, searched Ebay, and didn't find anything but a Mitchell Spidercast that doesn't look like that. I might have to have one of those. Is it just like a spincast reel that looks like a baitcaster?

Yep pretty much just a spincast reel disquised inside a shell that looks like a baitcaster.