Sign in to follow this  
tracker12

Tips on Adjusting a Curado

I just picked up a Curado 201E7.  Any tips on adjusting the Cast Control and Variable Brake System.  Which one do you set first.  On my ABUs I used to set the cast Control so the lure would make a controled fall when the release was depressed.  There was no VBS on them.  Any help would be appreciated.

set two or three pins on the brakes (on opposite sides of the spool) and then turn the spool tension knob until it just barely allows the lure to fall. Start from there and then go to two pins on the brakes and loosen the spool tension as you get comfortable.

I have a Curado 200E. I have 3 brakes on 3 off and the cast control knob pretty much all the way off.

If you're a novice user, activate four brake collars in an X pattern.  Set the spool tension in the manner Dan. suggested.

If you're proficient with casting reels, activate two brake collars and play with the spool tension until you're not getting a backlash at the beginning of the cast.

once you find a good starting point from which you aren't backlashing then it gets a lot easier to make minimal adjustments to get longer distances. Once you get comfortable with two pins you won't have to fool with them anymore, all you'll have to do is adjust the spool tension occasionally when you change baits with significantly different weights.

Also, another tip. However many pins you start with, when you adjust the brakes to use fewer pins, it's probably a good idea to tighten the spool tension at first and then slowly loosen it as you get accustomed to the new brake settings.

I just picked up a Curado 201E7.  Any tips on adjusting the Cast Control and Variable Brake System.  Which one do you set first.  On my ABUs I used to set the cast Control so the lure would make a controled fall when the release was depressed.  There was no VBS on them.  Any help would be appreciated.

Turn all brake collars off. Set the rate of fall using the CC. Then set the brakes collars 2 on just like your old Abus have, and you should be set up...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!