Sign in to follow this  
fishnsmith

Cabelas Prodigy Reel

The Prodigy is no where close to the quality of a Curado or Chronarch. I have both Shimano's and they are amazing reels. The Prodigy is a $60 House brand reel that, in my opinion feels cheap. If you go into Cabela's and go to the bargain cave, you will see dozens of Prodigy reels returned and sold for a cheaper price. I have never seen a Curado or Chronarch in the Bargain Cave, not even in the glass case that holds the more expensive returned products.

If you are looking to spend $70, buy a Quantum Accurist. Here is the link, http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0029872119562a&navCount=4&podId=0029872&parentId=cat20331&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20331&catalogCode=6IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20331&hasJS=true

Also, here is a product review on it, http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantaccurist2.html Spend your money on good, quality gear, it will save you in the long run.

Hi,

My first contribution to the site.   I have this reel, and will be returning it soon.  I purchased it on sale and here's my experience.

1) looks and feels really cheap.  Lots of plastic.   The gold shiny plastic is the worst!

2) Casts just ok (low side) for distance, but is pretty good for keeping backlashes out of the spool.  Myself I'd rather have a longer cast and have more fine control of the spool myself.  Even with mag control turned lowest I couldn't get a decent cast with the spool tension correct.  

3) My biggest issue is that the button is jaming on mine.  I'll do a cast and try to start to reel but the button will not come back up and it jams.   It's happened a couple of dozen times and I think it's time to be returned.  

4) The 7 bearings don't seem to make it smoother than other reels.

The whole bearing thing doesn't seem to tie to quality.  I have a browning A330 with 3 bearings and feels infintely smoother while retrieving (and casts better) than the prodigy.

Best Regards,

Terri

I want to know if anyone ever used this reel and what do you think. How does it compare to the high dollar reels like chronarh,curado or diawa pt.

Thanks Bass-Brat.

I've been fishing for a long time with Gramps, Dad, and 3 brothers and now my 3 sons.   Mostly generic fishing(whatever species came along) except when with Gramps who liked to fish for channel cats on a channel that emptied into Lake St. Claire in Michigan.   We caught some 'huge' catfish.   But I've recently become interested in targetting bass since we've bought a boat and have close access to lake champlain.    We've caught a few 17-20" largemouths, and some smallmouths and they're a lot of fun.  Previously my favorites have been big pike but the Bass are just as much fun and don't have all of the slime and mess.    I've been scouring all of the forum for answers to my questions first before posting.  

WELCOME THERESA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice review.

Guest DavidGreen

fishnsmith,

How does it compare to the high dollar reels like chronarh,curado or diawa pt.
It won't... :)

Most house brand or (re-brand) reels are made by the manufacturers on a one time run basis, and made for combo sales. The manufacturers usually do not support or service the reels.

The Daiwa® PT33SH has been around since the early 90's, it is a workhorse reel for Daiwa® and has been well supported by the manufacturer for all those years. You cannot write anything bad about the Shimano® Chronarch, or Curado reels. Very smooth well supported reels by the manufacturers.

Theresamarie1,

Welcome to the forum!!

Tight Lines All!!!

Thanks ReelMech!

What's your take on the Quantum Accurist previously suggested?   I am returning my prodigy and want to get another similar priced, but good performance, reel.  If it isn't good, I'll just wait till something better goes on sale.

Thanks.

fishnsmith,
How does it compare to the high dollar reels like chronarh,curado or diawa pt.
It won't... :)

Most house brand or (re-brand) reels are made by the manufacturers on a one time run basis, and made for combo sales. The manufacturers usually do not support or service the reels.

The Daiwa® PT33SH has been around since the early 90's, it is a workhorse reel for Daiwa® and has been well supported by the manufacturer for all those years. You cannot write anything bad about the Shimano® Chronarch, or Curado reels. Very smooth well supported reels by the manufacturers.

Theresamarie1,

Welcome to the forum!!

Tight Lines All!!!

Welcome aboard!

Guest DavidGreen

Theresamarie1,

What's your take on the Quantum Accurist previously suggested?
Quantum® had a lot of problems with the IAR system on the older Accurist CX's (I own 10), and consequently discontinued those reels, and now I can't get parts for mine, and a couple others for clients.

Then Quantum decided to redesign the CX series reels (red, blue, gold, colors) for "05". Re-making the crank side plate and IAR systems better. I have only seen a few of the new series CX's and have not seen any problems with the reels. The only difference between the CX's series and the PT series, is the Ceramic-zirconia levelwind system and titanium-coated line guide, and skeletal spool in the PT series.

Hope this helps...

Tight Lines!!!

You just can't compare a $60 reel with one that costs 50, 60 or over 200% more. They function the same the line flies out and the line comes in but the subtleties are so different.

I think the low cost reels are made for the occasional fisherman or someone who just wants to try baitcasting and not strain the budget too far. And, yes you can learn to bait cast on an inexpensive reel. Maybe not as far nor with light lures but you can learn and then make the decision for higher end gear.

A $60 reel will not have the features of a $100 or $200 reel if they did why anyone buy an expensive reel.

Tackletour.com gave the Accurist a 8.66 and best value award. I have the Accurist II and liked it but I was experimenting with the Accurist and the Accurist PT. I liked the PT better and returned the Accurist and put the $ towards a rod for the PT. If that makes any sense. The Accurist (red, blue,Gold) reels are good reels and will hold up. However, the Accurist PT, in my opinion is better. If you want a $60 or so reel, go with the Accurist or the Daiwa Procaster 6+1. If you have a little mor eto spend, look at the Shimano Citica, Shimano Cruxis, Quantum Accurist PT, Daiwa Advantage. These reels have pleased many people on this forum. I know there is a large group that LOVE the Pflueger line, I am not one of them, but you could check them out as well.

The Prodigy reel is a $100 reel and is on sale for 70. I recieved it the other day and used it hard. It seemed to be a great reel. It was tight and very smooth. I am thinking about orering more. It only weighs 7.58 oz compared to the 8.5 to 10 oz reels every body recomends. I also have a mg50 on the way. I know there will be no comparison but I need a small light weight reel due to tendonitis an carpal tunnel. Thankyou all for your input and please respond somemore

Guest DavidGreen

fishnsmith,

Don't mean to high jack the thread with the Quantum questions..

PARockHopper,

Both have Stainless Steel bearings, the PT's have a Polymer coating them. Hard to say if those are better bearings. As for the Hot Sauce that is no big deal.....

Tight Lines All !!

fishnsmith, once you get the mg50, you will send the other prodigy back. The mg, is soooo light. I find other reels extremely heavy after using the mg. I often joke that I have to start the day using my Scorpion 1000, Accurist PT, then go to the mg, otherwise the Scorpion and Accurist feel like a brick .The mg is by far the best fishing product that I have ever bought. I think that next year I will order 1 or 2 more and try to sell my other reels.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase. 8-)

Well I took in everybodys advice and ended up ordering 2more MGs. Now I have 6 4600 Abu Garcias,1 prodigy and 3 MGs. I do not need all those reels and I have more money in reels than I have in my boat. I will start selling off my spare 4600s that will not be used. They are about  year old and I still have the boxes and and papers.

I was thinking of buying this real also... Here are the reels I have.. Cheapest to most expensive... BPS Bionic... BPS Extreme x2... Quantum tour pt.... My wife doesn't let me spend alot of money on gear but house reels are not all that bad in fact my two extremes get more use and outperform the Q tour pt that i own.. super light cast just as far if not farther... smoother and all around ...better.. I live on a lake and by that I mean I can fish from the deck on the house... I fish every day and my equipment gets a lot of use... and the Extremes bare the brunt of it.. and i paid 40$ for them on sale..

I wish I could sell the blue pt... if any one wants it make me an offer...

So is there anyone who likes this reel?

So is there anyone who likes this reel?

I have the Prodigy BC reel and really like it and was going to sell it in the flea market but had second thoughts. My reel has performed great for me since it was my second BC. I haven't tried to cast anything to light on it like shallow cranks but for everything else it works just fine. I haven't had a problem with the bearings or anything and since it's made by Daiwa I think that makes its even better.

incheon, i applaud you for searching the archives before posting. HOWEVER, this thread is about the old prodigy reel made by pinnacle that was rather "forgettable". the current prodigies sold by cabelas are made by daiwa and are basically a modified daiwa tierra. they're good reels!

incheon, i applaud you for searching the archives before posting. HOWEVER, this thread is about the old prodigy reel made by pinnacle that was rather "forgettable". the current prodigies sold by cabelas are made by daiwa and are basically a modified daiwa tierra. they're good reels!

not that good looking (lol)... but sound... thanks