Sign in to follow this  
warwickforlife

Need some advice/answers about line

Hi all, need some help.

I fish in a huge reservoir mostly for LMB, but there are SMB and also a lot of chain pickerel.  I am no where near a pro fisherman, but I love it, and I go three or four times a week.  My rig is a BPS Tourney Rod...pretty stiff; I paid $50 bucks for it.  I have a Daiwa XiA 3000 reel, and I have Stren original 6lb test on it.  

I fish almost only senkos, but I also throw flukes, and mepps spinners, and some Rapala's.  

Now that it's summer, the weeds are thick, so I was wondering if I should change to a different line?  I have a spool with 10 lb test, but I feel like I'm casting with rope.  Also, was wondering what the pros/cons are to braided line?

Thanks guys!!  

Hi all, need some help.

I fish in a huge reservoir mostly for LMB, but there are SMB and also a lot of chain pickerel. I am no where near a pro fisherman, but I love it, and I go three or four times a week. My rig is a BPS Tourney Rod...pretty stiff; I paid $50 bucks for it. I have a Daiwa XiA 3000 reel, and I have Stren original 6lb test on it.

I fish almost only senkos, but I also throw flukes, and mepps spinners, and some Rapala's.

Now that it's summer, the weeds are thick, so I was wondering if I should change to a different line? I have a spool with 10 lb test, but I feel like I'm casting with rope. Also, was wondering what the pros/cons are to braided line?

Thanks guys!!

are you using spinning or casting reels?... also if your fishing in heavy weeds.. braid is best. cuts the weeds like knives... have you tried Fluoro? can get away with larger diameter lines due to it's super low visibility

... to be honest though ... each of the baits you use really need different lines... How do you fish the senko? in a finesse presentation 6-8 pound Fluoro...  Crank baits. 15-10# Fluoro depending on how deep you want to fish them.

Flukes.. How do you fish them? on top? then you wanna use mono and can get away with line up to 20# test. spinners same as cranking plugs

Sorry, yeah I'm spinning.

Fishing in weeds ---> use braid?

in the weeds... yes use braid... out of the weeds i wouldn't

There are many reasons in my book to make the switch.

-braid will make ur $50 rod feel like a $150 (in sensitivity).

-Wind knots, or those crazy loops you have probly seen with ur mono will be a thing of the past as braid has little if any memory

- even though its more exspensive initially braid will last u a LONG time. So its cheaper long term. (like synthetic oil) I've had power pro on a president for 3 years!

- Greater strength (you will save ALOT of lures because of it)

-less stretch= better long distance hooksets

-smaller diameter= longer casts

Theres a debate about the line visibilty factor, personally i dont think fish care. If it bothers ya just use a leader.

Thers many brands that are popular. I've used power pro and stren and have been equally pleased with both.

forgot to mention braid is a little unforgiving with treble hook lures. Just back of the drag for a little "give" and you'll be fine.

Braid is not the end all answer for spinning, but it sure is great.  it doesn't suffer as bad from line twist, but you can eventually get wind knots and tip wrap, especially if it is well worn in.  

I use 15# Power Pro for most of my finesse applications.  i almost always use a fluoro leader material.  Braid's biggest weakness is abrasion, so if you are fishing rocks, docks, and especially if fishing zebe infested lakes, then the leader is a must.  I also find that using a long leader, like 8'+ helps avoid tip wrap.

Speaking of leader, son't use reel fill as leader, get real leader material, like P-Line CFX, Gamma Fluoro Leaders, or Triple Fish Leader.  I use 6-10# depending on cover.  An Allbright knot seems to work the best, though I've also use a triple surgeon's, Uni to Uni, and even a blood knot with success.  

The uni to Uni is probably the easiest to tie, but I recommend a spider hitch on the braided mainline to double the diameter when using a larger diameter leader, like 8 or 10#.