Sign in to follow this  
lightsout

REVO SX drag issue

I have an SX and on two occasions now when hookin into a healthy fish Ive had topush the thumb bar to release line as the drag just wouldnt give line, even though it was correctly set. When i grab the line by hand its smooth......What gives? (no it doesnt have braid on it)

Thanks

Josh

yes even loose....like i said if i grab it directly above the reel its smooth...I'm no reel guru, but was wondering if their could be something with the drag stack? I havent opened it yet as I have no schmetatics and honestly am very inexperienced with reel repair

my guess is that the drag isn't set as loose as you think. when you grab line right at the reel, it's a direct pull. when a fish pulls on your line, there's the length of the rod, the rod's limberness, and the stretch of the line to overcome before your drag is called upon. i'll further guess that your rod has a moderate action (bends parabolically instead of just at the tip).

I have no schmetatics and honestly am very inexperienced with reel repair

schmetatic is available at abu's website and believe me, it is very simple than you think. I would open it up and inspect inside...

yes even loose....like i said if i grab it directly above the reel its smooth...I'm no reel guru, but was wondering if their could be something with the drag stack? I havent opened it yet as I have no schmetatics and honestly am very inexperienced with reel repair

I have the schematic's located here.....

http://www.***/reel-shop/schematics/garcia-schematics.html

Sounds like you have a sticking pad situation. But even at that the drags are not set by pulling line at the reel, they are properly set from the tip action of the rod. By anchoring the tag end of the main line to a scale and lifting the rod tip reading the scale as the drags perform starting as light as possible, with the final setting at 1/3 the lines rating.....

Just my .02¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!