Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

Abu Garcia Cardinal 601

just ordered a reconditioned c601 from ffo tackle.

everyone seems pleased with their baitcasters , so i bit the bullet and went with this. i noticed they also had a c801 for $20 more. is there that much of a difference? the reel MIGHT see saltwater one or twice in its life , but thats a big maybe.

ill be coming from a pflueger president 6725.

;)

The 800 series is the predecessor to the new Soron STX, SX, and 700 series reels.  The 800 has been discontinued in favor of the new Soron.  

The 800 is all metal - body, sideplate, rotor, bail arms, etc.   It has HCPR bearing throughout.  Different styling.   The 800 is an extremely tough reel.   The 600 is no slouch, either, but the 800 does step it up a bit in components.

from what  i understood the 601 has all metal construction and hcpr bearings as well. at $20 more, would you suggest i get the 801 instead? what ever reels i buy next i want them to last as long as possible and be able to pull in what ever i hook on to.

and my 6725 will be posted for sale tomorrow.

after a nights sleep , i decided to send them an email asking if i can get the 801 instead and be charged the difference. they havnt sent me an email saying my order has been shipped , so i would imagine it shouldnt be an issue.

:-X

apparently , once your order is processed (not shipped) , they wont cancel it. i was told that i will have to return the c601 once it arrives to get issued a refund.  :;) i went ahead and ordered the c801 as well so i can compare the two and see which one i would like to keep.

once my floogers are gone , ill be down to one baitcasting and a UL/L rig.

i got both of them in front of me. i do prefer the 801. the 601 has more of 'gear-y' feeling to it. the 801 feels more solid and smooth. heavier to the hand than my previous president 6725 , but still comfortable. this will be my UL rig untill i get a light action spinning rod.

btw , ffo tackle was quick with both my orders , and both included some freebies (some berkly wacky crawlers and a #1/4 spool of 25lb blue trilene big game). i would order from them again.

I'm a saltwater fisherman and I own many cardinals.  I have the old 800 series 802 and and 804, the sororn 40  and the 704.

Personally I don't care for the 600 for 1 basic reason, the drag is not waterproof, the others are...........these are good reels.

For you or others considering a new floog president xt, it has no waterproof or sealed drag either, the medalist does.

i just wanted a reel that would stand whatever gets hooked on the other end. this seemed to be it within my budget. ill post up pictures later since i know everyone likes to look at reels. ;)

also , my scale says the c801 is 8.25oz. ffo tackle says 7.9oz.  :-?

..i may open it later to see where this weight is coming from...

IMO less than 3/10 of an ounce is insignificant, go with what you think the better reel is.

IMO less than 3/10 of an ounce is insignificant, go with what you think the better reel is.

of course.

it just felt heavier to the hand than my previous reel and it obviously is.

i am keeping the 801. the 601 should be going back today.