Sign in to follow this  
KevO

Old shimano Curado value

My buddy has an old Shimano Curado he wants to know the value of.  I'm not sure what the model # is but it's about 25years old and its bright red.  It's in near mint condition and he fishes with it all the time.  But he's been thinking about getting rid of it so he can get a new Core 50mg.  I will try to find a pic to post.  He's looked on ebay but there weren't any for sale.  Any clues to its value would be appreciated.

Can 't be 25 years old, it 's a much more recent reel, that color was manufactured in 1993; in mint condition, with box, wrench & manual it 's worth between 70-90 dollars. Without any of those take 10-15 dollars away from the price.

he said he bought in '83 but he is over the hill so maybe he forgot.  Thanks for the input.

The truth is, if that reel were mine I would not sell it.  ;)

I don't think he wants to sell it but his wife won't let him upgrade until he thins out some gear first.  I would buy it from him it's an awesome reel.  But my problem is the same as his.... it's just too big for my hands.  He told me he called the shimano parts dealer in Alabama looking for spare parts but they don't carry them anymore.  The lady he spoke to was amazed he had one and offered to buy it.  She said she saw one for sale on ebay a long time ago that sold for a couple hundred dollars.

I posted a NIB bright red '93 Curado that was on Ebay a couple of months ago.  Box, instructions, oil and wrench still with it.  It ended up going for $138.  I feel it could have gone for more though...it's probably the only NIB '93 curado in the world.  I honestly was itching to buy it....it was pretty hot looking....even for today's standards.  

Ok well I will let him know he can get somewhere between $75-140 for it.  It is a hot reel even by todays standards.  He has it on a carrot stix, the Red and Orange look pretty sweet.

I posted a NIB bright red '93 Curado that was on Ebay a couple of months ago. Box, instructions, oil and wrench still with it. It ended up going for $138. I feel it could have gone for more though...it's probably the only NIB '93 curado in the world. I honestly was itching to buy it....it was pretty hot looking....even for today's standards.

Man, I missed that auction  :-[, would have paid that kind of money for a NIB '93 rado. Paid $120 for a NIB 521 XLT Plus anniversary edition about a year ago.  ;)

I posted a NIB bright red '93 Curado that was on Ebay a couple of months ago. Box, instructions, oil and wrench still with it. It ended up going for $138. I feel it could have gone for more though...it's probably the only NIB '93 curado in the world. I honestly was itching to buy it....it was pretty hot looking....even for today's standards.

Man, I missed that auction :-[, would have paid that kind of money for a NIB '93 rado. Paid $120 for a NIB 521 XLT Plus anniversary edition about a year ago. :)

I swear you replied to that thread.  It may have been longer than a couple of months ago.  It was showroom perfect.  I know reel Mech replied to the thread....he's the one who branded it a '93.  I think he said the red color was a BPS exclusive.  I tried to dig up the pic with no luck ;).  

Paid $120 for a NIB 521 XLT Plus anniversary edition about a year ago. ;)

OK, I have to ask....

What is so special about this one?  I didn't have that particular model but I had 2 Ultra Mag XLT's and both gave me problems, one more than the other and I actually threw that one in the lake one day. Gave the other away, eventually.  

Wow!  A 1993 Curado is worth more than my slightly used 1 year old revos.  

Paid $120 for a NIB 521 XLT Plus anniversary edition about a year ago. :)

OK, I have to ask....

What is so special about this one? I didn't have that particular model but I had 2 Ultra Mag XLT's and both gave me problems, one more than the other and I actually threw that one in the lake one day. Gave the other away, eventually.

My first good reel was a XLT PLUS which I purchased in 83 (?)/84, about a year later I purchased a 521 XLT PLUS, six months later I purchased a XLT PLUS Scynchro, fished with those reels until 1994 when I purchased my first Curado, I still fish with those reels with no problem whatsoever ( more than 20 years use ).

But they are all worn up ( cosmetically ) so when I saw that reel @ e-bay as fresh as out of the assembly line I just had to have it, it 's not a user reel, it 's a collectible. Meanwhile those trusty old reels are still in function today.

Now I have vintage Abu weekends ( the three XLT plus + the Cardinal Ultracast 62 ), Shimano weekends and Daiwa weekends. ;) as I rotate them.

I posted a NIB bright red '93 Curado that was on Ebay a couple of months ago.  Box, instructions, oil and wrench still with it.  It ended up going for $138.  I feel it could have gone for more though...it's probably the only NIB '93 curado in the world.  I honestly was itching to buy it....it was pretty hot looking....even for today's standards.  

Man, I missed that auction  :-[, would have paid that kind of money for a NIB '93 rado. Paid $120 for a NIB 521 XLT Plus anniversary edition about a year ago.  :)

I swear you replied to that thread.  It may have been longer than a couple of months ago.  It was showroom perfect.  I know reel Mech replied to the thread....he's the one who branded it a '93.  I think he said the red color was a BPS exclusive.  I tried to dig up the pic with no luck ;).  

Yup posted that info.....

The red Curado (tomato) is the A model which was 1993.   :)