Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

Need help selecting jig rod

I am looking to get a rod to make jig fishing easier, with better feel and sensitivity. I kinda want to get a Mojo 7' H, and put a Citica on it spooled with 20# P-Line C-XX, which i could also use for big worms, swimbaits, etc. I do like using braid, but it tears up the rod. So, that being said, in the $100 range, what rod would you suggest for me for my jig fishing?

$100 dollar range, there is a couple out there.

St. Croix Rods

Mojos

*MBC66MHF Jig-N-Worm 6'6" MH Fast 1 12 - 20 3[ch8260] 8 - 1 4.1 2 $ 90

or

*MBC70HF Slop-N-Frog 7' H Fast 1 14 - 25 3[ch8260] 8 - 11[ch8260]2 5.3 3 $ 100

Falcon Rods

Original Casting

FC-6-166       Worm N Classic       MH       7       12-25 lb.       1/4 to 3/4 oz.       6' 6"       9"       $89.99

or

FC-7-166       Choke Canyon       H       7       15-30 lb.       3/8 to 1oz.       6' 6"       9"       $89.9

or

FC-6-17       Carolina Lizard Dragger I       H       8       12-25 lb.       3/8 to 1oz.       7'       10"       $89.99

or

BuCoo

BCC-5-1610            MH            8       10-20 lb.       3/16 to 5/8 oz.       6' 10"            $109.99

or

BCC-6-1610            H            8       12-25 lb.       1/4 to 3/4 oz.       6' 10"            $109.99

or

BCC-5-17            MH            8       12-20 lb.       1/4 to 5/8 oz.       7'            $109.99

or

BCC-6-17            H            8       12-25 lb       3/8 to 1oz.       7'            $109.99

That is just a few of them in that range price range. Their is a lot more from other rod manufactures as well like Shimano. Fenwick, Kistler, Powell etc...

Your best bet is going to be and try and get your hands on as many of the rods you like as you can and see how they feel in your hands with the reel you plan on using mounted on them.

Also don't be afraid to put braid on any of the rods I listed or any of the other manufactures listed. Braid is awesome for fishing jigs.

Later, :(

I do like using braid, but it tears up the rod. So, that being said, in the $100 range, what rod would you suggest for me for my jig fishing?

What kind of braid are you using?  I've used fireline braid and powerpro and had no issues with this on any of my rods.  I have heard some of the older braids did before they started making them rounder... maybe try switching.

If your looking at the $100 range, I would go with the BuCoo over the mojo any day of the week.  The Falcon BuCoo 7' H.  Will let you throw light swim baits, frogs, flip and pitch jigs etc.  I recently handled one at Cabelas and I was very impressed for the price, not as nice as the higher end $200+ price tag rods but for a $109 for the 7'H it was extremely nice.  There are also some good reviews on the forums about them that I have read.

For jig fishing you really need a good sensitive strong rod. I would suggest saving a bit more and buying a Powell Max 705C. Definitely stay away from the H Mojo! It is a broom stick and has about the same sensitivity of one as well!

What length/action/power would you suggest? I was using Power Pro, and it tore up the inside of the front guide. But, the rod was a Berkley Cherrywood ($30). Does the price of the rod have anything to do with how the front guide had a bunch of rivets in it?

Sorry about that description. The front guide on my Cherrywood was all messed up and looked like someone had put a knife in it and went to town. So you guys are saying that with a nicer rod, the guides won't get all cut up? The guide was so bad that when I switched back to mono, I went to cast a lipless crank, and the line snapped mid-cast (I hadn't noticed the guide yet). It was horrible.

I really like the Bucoo. What model would you suggest for fishing 3/8-1/2 oz. jigs? This rod would probably also be used for some swimbaits and big worms too, and also carolina rigs.

A MH model would do fine for jigs in the 3/8 to 1/2oz range you really do not need a Heavy unless you are fishing heavy vegetation or heavy cover or you want to throw jigs heavier than that.  

BuCoo

BCC-6-17                H                8        12-25 lb        3/8 to 1oz.        7'                $109.99

Yes the higher the price the better the guides.  The BuCoo does at least have Fuji reel seats and guides.

Later, :(

I am looking to get a rod to make jig fishing easier, with better feel and sensitivity. I kinda want to get a Mojo 7' H, and put a Citica on it spooled with 20# P-Line C-XX, which i could also use for big worms, swimbaits, etc. I do like using braid, but it tears up the rod. So, that being said, in the $100 range, what rod would you suggest for me for my jig fishing?

if youre tossing 3/4 jigs id really wait and spend a bit more on a rod. if youre tossing nothing bigger than 5/16 id look at All Star IM10 rods and Fenwick HMX rods. maybe a Falcon Original.

also, are you buying over the net? what stores are close to you that sell rods? id really try to go store fish a few fods before spending your money. even if the rods out of your price range you can post what you liked and its possible another member can suggest the perfect rod for you. i still fish all 3 rods i listed, with the Fenwick and Falcon being the 2 i like the most.

good luck.

Sorry about that description. The front guide on my Cherrywood was all messed up and looked like someone had put a knife in it and went to town. So you guys are saying that with a nicer rod, the guides won't get all cut up? The guide was so bad that when I switched back to mono, I went to cast a lipless crank, and the line snapped mid-cast (I hadn't noticed the guide yet). It was horrible.

I really like the Bucoo. What model would you suggest for fishing 3/8-1/2 oz. jigs? This rod would probably also be used for some swimbaits and big worms too, and also carolina rigs.

It is a $30 rod, you get what you pay for.  That being said, I have never had an issue with powerpro or fireline braid cutting guides on any of the rods I own.  

You want a rod that can fish 3/8 - 1/2oz jigs, big worms, carolina rigs and swimbaits...

In the $100 range:

BuCoo Casting BCC-6-17   H   8 12-25 lb 3/8 to 1oz. 7'   $109.99

Will do everything you want and cast light swim baits.  Your not going to get much more out of a rod than light swimbaits that will also do well in all the other areas you seek.  Most technique specific swimbait rods are all rated in the multiple ounce range.  But you will be able to throw light swim baits with that without a doubt.  

If your looking for a more expensive rod I'd say as dink suggested the Powell Flipping Rod 7'6" Mag-Hvy 766 is rated for 1/4oz - 2oz lures, so that would let you toss heavier swimbaits, I am planning on purchasing this exact rod in the near future as my heavy flipping / swimbait rod.

For jig fishing you really need a good sensitive strong rod. I would suggest saving a bit more and buying a Powell Max 705C. Definitely stay away from the H Mojo! It is a broom stick and has about the same sensitivity of one as well!