Sign in to follow this  
CanalStalkin

Opinions on this combo

I am still looking for a cheap but decent casting combo and came across this. I know its not top of the line but anything is better than what im using right now. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104129_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

I am looking for somethin sub 100 dollar range.

eh...well i guess it depends on how much you fish , but it is true that you get what you pay for.  When i started out i had one of these, and the reel is just ok, but for the occasional fisherman itll be fine.  The rod is the big difference in my opinion.  just not very comfortable, and nearly as sensitive as a better rod.  So depending on what you use it for, itd be hard for me to recommend it, especially after upgrading my gear.  For the price however, its a good price and you will get good use out of it im sure.

ya, id probably be better off trolling the flea market. Ive came across some reels in my price range. but not many reels/rods together. Casting stuff is a whole other world that still confuses me LOL. How are the old Bantams?

ya, id probably be better off trolling the flea market. Ive came across some reels in my price range. but not many reels/rods together. Casting stuff is a whole other world that still confuses me LOL. How are the old Bantams?

I'm assuming you're talking about the old tiny black shimano bantam mag reels. If you can find one then buy it. If you can find 10 buy em! My all time favorite finesse reel. It will cast a 1/8th oz jig head a quarter mile! I even use it a lot on my bigger gear simply because of it's size and how smooth it casts. Troll ebay and see how much they go for. Do good to get one in decent shape for under 40 -50 bucks - and they're nearly 30 years old! Also if you ever find a lews speed spool buy it no matter what the condition and then find parts to fix it. Totally worth it

All that being said I've got that exact combo and I like the reel but I put it on an allstar rod pretty quickly. I use the original rod for spinner baits now exclusively