Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCat500

Daiwa Zillion 100PA for jigs?

I'm looking at the Zillion 100PA and noticed it was recommended for crankbait applications. I'm planning on using it exclusively for jig because I like the slow retrieve.

Anyone have any experience with the 100PA?

Thanks

Years ago we caught alot of bass with Abu 4:7-1 and Shimano 100 5:1 reels. These were considered fast at that time. I would guess that a fish swimming at you could be a problem, but horsing them out of heavy cover will not be a problem.

The Zillions are built like a tank, great reels there is no reason why you couldn't use the Pa for a jig would be great for getting them out of heavy cover. By the way Cabela's has them on sale in the Bargain Cave for 209 if you do not have one already.

How do you feel about the Revo's and which would be good for jigs?there's a couple Im looking at. Winch, Toro and the SX....jus dont know where to turn. Larrys having George build me a 68MHF casting for my jigs.

Not to burst your bubble, but it sounds like a HORRIBLE idea.

The real was intended for cranking, not jigs.

If the fish grabs the jig and runs at you, you have to crank like hell to reel in slack line before setting the hook.

If you hook the fish, and she runs at you, you're busy trying to catch up with the fish so that you can keep there from being no slack line.

If you get bit from far out, you need to reel in slack line before you set, you're wasting precious seconds.

Can it be done? Sure. Is it a pain in the but, and will you miss fish, sure. Spend less then half the money and get a high speed Revo STX. More drag power, quicker retrieve, only $120.

It can be done, but the technology these days have reels like 7.1:1 because of the advantage, so why not use them? It's definitely a handicap using a slow retrieve reel for jigs in my opinion.

You move the jig with the rod. When you get bit, you move the fish with the rod. The reel just takes up line.

I have no idea why a slower reel would offer ANY advantage here.

Yes, I remember when my Daiwa 5:1 was a "burner." 6.3:1 was an adjustment. Having stepped into the 7+:1 world, faster is better with jigs.

I've used the Crazy Cranker, and honesty, its even too slow for cranking for my preference. Its gonna SUCK for jigs. Seriously. When you miss that jig bite, and have to reel in to make another pitch back, you will regret the decision to go with a slow reel.

all makes since to me now, thinking you do want to fire it right back into that hole if you miss a strike, was just thinking a slow crawl on the floor would make sense too, but your views make more. I have a Curado 200DHSV I use on my G Loomis rod as a multi-purpose set-up, topwater, spinnerbaits, rigged worming some smaller swimbaits. Im going to have a rod made for soley jigs and want to try a different reel this time.  Revo's are on the list.

all makes since to me now, thinking you do want to fire it right back into that hole if you miss a strike, was just thinking a slow crawl on the floor would make sense too, but your views make more. I have a Curado 200DHSV I use on my G Loomis rod as a multi-purpose set-up, topwater, spinnerbaits, rigged worming some smaller swimbaits. Im going to have a rod made for soley jigs and want to try a different reel this time. Revo's are on the list.

You move the jig on the bottom with your rod, not reel.

Definitely give the revos a look, $120 for a new STX is a steal.

thanks brokeju, how you feel bout the SX? thinking that will look sweet on my all black on black rod, but have considered the STX also.

I have 5 STXs and 0 SXs. I had an SX and sold it immediately. For some reason, I just couldn't cast worth a rats *** with it. Not sure what the SX is selling for, but STXs are only $120 right now which is INCREDIBLE for a new STX. If you were going to spend twice that for the Crazy Cranker Zillion, you could buy two STXS.

I'd highly suggest a 7.1:1 reel. You can always reel slower, but there's a limit as to how fast you can reel.