Sign in to follow this  
Fishing Rhino

Lubing the exposed moving parts of your reel.

Here's a trick I learned from the days when I was making wood clock cases.

The company I made them for also sold movements.  I sold a few finished clocks, and bought the movements from said company.

The movements came with instructions for lubing all the pivot points on the clock.

The trick was to stick a sewing needle, into the eraser on a pencil.  Then, dip the eye of the needle into the oil.  Dip just the eye of the needle.

You end up with a tiny drop of oil that will not fall from the needle, but will transfer to the bail pivot or handle grip precisely when you touch it to the spot you want to oil.

Neat, clean, and foolproof, with little or no excess to wipe off.

Guess that is why we sell oils in the needle nose bottles...

tn_778-reeloil.jpg

Tight Lines!

That's a great idea fishing rhino.I'm going to try that today since my gear hasn't been oiled recently.Thanks for the great tip.

Was not aware there was a needle nose oil bottle.  Had not seen it.

But, I suspect, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's a squeeze bottle.  Which allows for the possibility of accidentally squeezing out more than one drop.

The oil that came with my Shimano Saros reels does not come in a needle nose bottle, such as the one shown on this thread.  

If you have oil which does not come in a needle nose bottle, the sewing needle technique is a helpful hint.

If yours does, great.  But if it doesn't, the fact that it is available, but you don't have it, does not do you a bit of good.

Yep, I have a couple of the needle nose bottles. They work great. Too much oil can sometimes do as much hard as good. With those bottles, it's easy to put just enough to lubricate without attracting a lot of dirt.