Sign in to follow this  
farmpond1

Broken bail spring

This is probably a common lament among users of spinning reels.  I have a Daiwa Kastor reel with a broken bail spring.  Being not an upper end fishing reel but also not a "disposable" cheapy (around $60 new), I'm uncertain whether it's worth it to have it repaired.  I hate to send an otherwise serviceable reel to the great spinning reel graveyard in the sky but I don't want to pay a good portion of what a new reel costs just to fix an old one.  I probably should just PM Reel Mechanic to get his thoughts but thought I'd throw this out for everyone/anyone first.

call them and they'll send you a couple for free. they sent me two for my wifes diawa crossfire no questions asked. this reel was only $25. is yours still under warenty? this seems like a cvommon problem with thier products.

Yeah you could call Daiwa' CS dept and ask for a new bail spring (a part number helps), and install it yourself. This would cost you practically nothing....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

I've used Daiwas for years and haven't yet seen a bail spring that lasts. I'm not good mechanically, but once a service technician mailed me hand-drawn instructions on how to replace a spring on a particular model, of which I have three reels. I have a couple of others with broken springs but I just continue to fish with them

If you don't get free springs, then buy some. They're cheap. Last time I bought them they were 50¢.

My shimano spheros 4000 had a bad spring, took it in to my local repair shop, 2 days and $5.00 later the reel was perfect again.