Sign in to follow this  
BrianinMD

7ft M or 6ft 9in ML rod??

Planning to pick up a finesse plastics rod, looking at either a 7ft M action or a 6ft 9in ML action rod. This will mainly be used for unweighted 4in senko's and other similiar sized plastics. Reviewing prior post and have one other question. Which rod action would you choose, pro's/con's of each.

If you want a true finesse rod, go with the med-light power. I have two, and can recommend either as a good choice for finesse plastics.

The best value is a BPS Pro Finesse rod; 6'9" ML, sells for $100. This rod goes on sale every year for 80 bucks, and is a great value at that price. I use mine for flukes, small jigworms, split-shot rigs, etc.

For a better, but more costly, alternative, I have a St Croix Legend Tournament 6'9" ML-Xfast rod that is just sweet for any small offerings.

A 7' medium power rod is good for a wide variety of bait weights. I use two Setyr rods in this length and power. These are for me the most versatile of the rods I have. This is the right power for 4" Senkos, and any other baits of similar weight. If you're mostly using baits in this weight range, go with th 7' medium.

Thanks Ghoti,

The BPS Pro Finesse XPS trigger rods are on clearance for 60 bucks right now.....

Thanks Ghoti,

The BPS Pro Finesse XPS trigger rods are on clearance for 60 bucks right now.....

That's a no-brainer.

i'm only aware of two ML rods that come in 6'9": st. croix and the BPS pro finesse so i assume you're considering one of those. i'd say that if you plan to throw any 1/8th oz. darterheads or shakeyhead, go for the ML as you'll get better action and better casting with the lighter weights. i played with both the 6'9" ML and the 7' M BPS before deciding on the ML...the 7' M just didn't feel as crisp. i've been more than happy with mine and i love it as much as any of my $200+ sticks. i generally like rods in the 7'0" to 7'3" range but i have never missed the inches on the 6'9" rod...in fact, i think it is perfect for light and finesse applications. it kills me that they're currently on clearance for $60 when i paid $100.

Action ---> fast/Xfast for soft plastics

I 've got a ML/F rod, GraphiteLeader Bosco, paired to a Daiwa Revros 2004 spooled with 6 lbs test Trilene XT, man what a rush it is to fish with that rod.

But your approach to hooksetting has to change, with rods that forgiving forget about crossing their eyes, razor sharp hooks, texposed or skin hooked baits; to set the hook you lift the rod tip while reeling in the slack until you feel the fish and then pull hard. If you try to set the hook without having a tight line the rod will absorb most of the energy and you won 't set the hook on the fish.