Sign in to follow this  
Methuselah

Rod Comparison - Fishing in the Jungle

I have read several threads on rod comparisons...particular to frogs, jigs, and heavy cover...staying in the mid-price range ($100-200) I found positive comments about Powell, Kistler, St. Croix, and Shimano.

Currently, an online retailer is selling Quantum PT Signature rods for $80. This would be a savings of 20 to 60% (which would make my CFO, if not happier, at least less resistant).

I am looking for opinions on the Quantum rods.

Thanks.

For $80 you can't go wrong.  They are great rods, but very technique specific.  I found they are great at what they are intended to do, but mediocre at everything else.  They are very sensitive, I would say between Kistler and Powell and have amazing power to boot.

If you know exactly what you want to use it for, and can get the rod you want for $80 I'd go for it.  Otherwise my personal opinion would be the next step up a Kistler Argon that can be purchased for $135 shipped new.

I found them to be too bulky and not very sensitive! But for $80 they are great!!! I would go with a Powell or a Kistler. IMO, Powells are more sensitive and a lot stronger as well though!