Sign in to follow this  
Pa Angler

LC POINTER 128

Merry Christmas to all. I need some info on the Pointer 128's. I have used the smaller 100 & 78's with success but how do the larger 128's work on the water? What colors work best?

Chow

This happens to be my favorite hard bait. If you target big fish, this is the ticket, and not just for bass. I own several colors, but since I generally favor some shade of green for all lures, the Baby Bass pattern would be my suggestion to start with.

My biggest smallmouth caught on an artificial lure was fooled by a 128. PB walley, rainbow trout and #2 German brown trout, too. #1 artificial casting for striper. By accident, my PB freshwater fish was also caught on this lure:

50-100 lb gar!

This dog hunts, but it only hunts BIG!

BTW, I have technique specific gear for this lure: Lamiglas SR705R/ Shimano CTE200GT/ Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft #12. When I first fished the lure, I was using my MBR844C which will work just fine. That was the rod that landed the gar. You really need a Heavy Power rod to throw this lure.

Yeah Road is right, this bait takes some getting used to. The bait is very heavy and if your like me you use light line when throwing jerkbaits, the normal 8-10 pound test. That bait is very easy to loose, you have to slow your cast down and let the bait do the work, and believe me it will. My best colors have been Nishsiki, Perch, and Ghost Minnow. It will catch very big fish, but I have caught some smaller smallies on it as well.

Good bait, Corey

Thanks guys. ;)

Chow

Well, you didn't get much response which is somewhat telling in itself. Most people prefer the smaller, lighter models. The 128 is a bit of work, particularly if you aren't using the right equipment. You will definitely get fewer bites, too. However, if you are seriously targeting bigger fish, this is a GREAT lure.

Thank you RW, Yes I didn't get a lot of responses on the 128 also didn't get a lot of responses on the Flashminnow 130 as well so using the 130 is an option for big fish as well.

Chow