Sign in to follow this  
twitchfish

Hollow Body Swimbait Hardware

What are the fellas using to throw these?

Tried today on a Medium/Fast and missed 2 beauties. It did cast them a mile though.  Also, is there a particular gear ratio that is best and what line. Today a 6:3 and 8# CXX is what that rig happened to have.

Thanks again - Twitch

I would throw them on heavier line than that, especially the ones that are bigger than 4". I don't use a high speed ratio because I usually fish them slowly over the top of grass.

hollow bodies and spinnerbaits are somewhat similar. ideally, you want a 7-foot MH rod with a mod/fast to fast tip (mod/fast tip if you're using exposed hooks, fast tip if skin-hooking). a medium rod won't cut it. i also think you'd better off with 12 to 15 pound line and a slower reel. i use a g.loomis SBR813C and curado E5.

I am using a 7'MHF Fenwick HMG, wich i a bit LESS HEAVY than an Avid or All Star MH rod. Even though they are rated  rated the same, rods have a bit different action from company to company.

Reel is a Daiwa TD Advantage (6.3:1), line is 12# fluoro.I don't have any problem with the hook-ups.

The father-in-law bought some MegaBait Swimming Charlies off of Ebay and passed some along. I live in the middle of the middle, I mean go to the middle and look in the middle of the alley. I don't need a $50 swimbait to catch fish smaller than the $50 swimbait, but I did think the Charlie looked good to try.

The WORST tracking lure I have ever seen. It doesn't dive, it doesn't swim, nothing. So I tried a softer set-up to see if that helped. Could cast it a mile but zero on the hookset. Took the Charlie off and tried some Bass-majics had in the box and some Money Minnows and had same problem.

Trying next on the Citica/Clarus MH to see if any difference. Hopefully can find some fish who are just as curious about it as I am.

Twitch

I throw mine on a few different setups, depending on what I have with me.  What I use the most is a 7'H-F Kistler Magnesium with 17lb CXX on a Patriarch 71LP.  I also use a 7'MH-F Magnesium, 15lb CX, and now a 64LP Patriarch; 7'MagH-F Powell, 15lb CX, and Quantum Energy Burner.

What are the fellas using to throw these?

Tried today on a Medium/Fast and missed 2 beauties. It did cast them a mile though. Also, is there a particular gear ratio that is best and what line. Today a 6:3 and 8# CXX is what that rig happened to have.

Thanks again - Twitch

8lb is ok in CXX, that's what I crank with but I wouldn't fish less than 12lb CXX