Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

Bass Pro Shops reels, number of bearings??

A few years ago Bass Pro Shops upgraded their Extreme baitcast reel from 5 bearings to 7.  I had originally gotten one of the older 5 bearing models and still have it.  But since then I have purchased 4 more of the newer 7 bearing models.  

Well tonight I took one of my newer ones apart for a routine clean and relubing and while inside I decided to see where the extra 2 bearings are now located.  I expected them to be on the levelwind shaft actually cause that's about the only place left for them to be.  The other 5 are located as follows.....1 ball bearing and 1 roller bearing on the cranking shaft, and 3 ball bearings on the spool shaft.  Those 5 are all the original Extreme had but the newer one is supposed to have 2 more.  However I could not find them anywhere inside at all.  THEY'RE NOT THERE.  I know cause I totally and completely disassembled my reel, levelwind shaft and all.  There's only 5 bearings inside it.

So are the other 2 in the handle crank??  If so I would have thought that should have had at least 4 (2 per paddle instead of only 1).  

Here I am replying to my own question. ::) ;D

Might as well cause I think I answered it for myself already. Ever since I got the newer versions I haven't fished the older one at all. Just now I went and looked at it and it seems that all the newer ones will let the crank paddles spin extra smoothly while the older one is a bit rough in the form of vibrations as the paddles turn. I'd still like confirmation of this but if that is the case then I won't mind cause that just means I can order a replacement handle to fit the newer ones and put it on the older one and have 5 reels all identical with 7 bearings each. ;)

Hey bud I don't know about the exstremes much but this is a great thread if you can't find the other 2 BB.  You said you tel a difference a little though.  Were would the other 2 BB be?  You are saying in the crank?

Hey Rooster; the older ones had different braking, more in line with a Pflueger Type reel, these new ones have magnetic type brakes, I think that is the biggest difference between both reels

All my reels are the ones that have the ITB braking, the inertia type that they did away with this year in favor of the "free spool" magnetic only. The only differences between any of my reels that I know are supposed to be there are that the newer ones all have 7 bearings while the older one I have only has 5.

Sharkbite, I can see the paddles spinning more freely with the newer models than they do on the older one with less bearings so I suspect the other 2 bearings are inside those paddles. 1 in each one. However that's confusing to me cause for it to be totally effective, each paddle should have 2 instead of only 1. One bearing on each end of the axle inside the paddles. I've seen similar things done in spinning reels before, put one bearing on one side of the crank on the main gear and the other side just has a plastic supporting bushing only. Companies do that sort of thing at times and it always made no sense to me. I have a Shimano Sedona spinning reel that is that way. I would have used 2 bearings in that case but they didn't and I am thinking that the makers of the BPS baitcast reel (Pflueger) did that here as well.  If that's what they did, well it's ok but I would have made it a 9 bearing reel instead, 2 per paddle instead of 1.

Thanks, I am more familiar with the older models with the rhybrid brakes

The good and bad of those handle bearings.

It makes the handle seem marginally smoother.  They also spin really nice.

The bad.  If you're working a soft plastic back on a sensitive rod and bump one of those handles and get it spinning,  that spinning telegraphs back into the rod and becomes somewhat annoying.  

All my reels are the ones that have the ITB braking, the inertia type that they did away with this year in favor of the "free spool" magnetic only. The only differences between any of my reels that I know are supposed to be there are that the newer ones all have 7 bearings while the older one I have only has 5.

Sharkbite, I can see the paddles spinning more freely with the newer models than they do on the older one with less bearings so I suspect the other 2 bearings are inside those paddles. 1 in each one. However that's confusing to me cause for it to be totally effective, each paddle should have 2 instead of only 1. One bearing on each end of the axle inside the paddles. I've seen similar things done in spinning reels before, put one bearing on one side of the crank on the main gear and the other side just has a plastic supporting bushing only. Companies do that sort of thing at times and it always made no sense to me. I have a Shimano Sedona spinning reel that is that way. I would have used 2 bearings in that case but they didn't and I am thinking that the makers of the BPS baitcast reel (Pflueger) did that here as well. If that's what they did, well it's ok but I would have made it a 9 bearing reel instead, 2 per paddle instead of 1.

So there is BB in the knobs on the cranks always then? What about the Trions?

No, not always. I know for a fact that the 5 bearing model I have does not have bearings in the crank paddles. They're all inside the body of the reel. All 5 of them.

My question was about the 7 bearing versions, they too only have 5 bearings inside the body, making them identical to the earlier models UNLESS the extra 2 bearings are in the crank paddles. That's the only place left for the other 2 to be at. Otherwise there would be some false advertising going on. :) Noooooo. Bass Pro Shops wouldn't do that!!! (although if you do want to see something they probably didn't intend for you to see......take a close look at the 2009 Extreme advertisement in the catalog. Look closely at the model number printed on the side of the picture of the new Extreme with the swept handle. It's supposed to end with an E, but it's clearly a D instead, meaning it's a photograph of last year's model reel with this year's crank handle installed. No reason to do that, it would be harder to swap out handles for that pic than it would be to just use a new reel). Why they did that, I don't know, but they did. Doesn't mean anything though, I just thought it was interesting to note. I'm not saying they did false advertising though. It's just weird that that photo shows the D in the model number while it's supposed to be a pic of the new E models. BETTER YET!!! Go to the website and click on the pic of the reel to zoom in on it, look at the model number. It's clear as day that it's a D while having the E handle. Why did they do that??  Come to think of it, is it more weird that they did that or that I caught it??  I have a serious eye for details and miss hardly anything most of the time. ;)

But I also do know that some reels do have bearings in the cranks. I have a Pflueger spinning reel that is this way, it has 2 bearings in its crank handle. Sometimes companies put them there. One sure way to tell is to spin the paddles and watch to see how smoothly they spin and for how long. If they have bearings they'll spin smoothly and silently for several seconds before slowing down again. If not then they might make noises and only spin for a second or two and then stop.