Sign in to follow this  
VAfishin4me

Need help identifying old Abu

My Grandad gave me this reel, and I have been having a lot of trouble finding what year this model was made in. When him how old it was when he first gave it to me all he could say was that he had had it a very long time. I know it is an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 with an ID number 773904. I am fairly certain it is not what they call a "4 screw" reel. I believe it is either from the early sixties to early seventies, however I cannot be sure. If anyone could help that would be excellent and greatly appreciated especially help from those old Abu enthusiasts.

Please look at pics in attachments

post-24093-130162927331_thumb.jpg

post-24093-130162927341_thumb.jpg

post-24093-130162927347_thumb.jpg

post-24093-130162927353_thumb.jpg

you are right this reel is a 3 screw..

From the numbers I would venture a guess at 70's era.....

Maybe oldschool will chime in he will know for sure....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

I'm thinking early 70's.  The leatherette cases in the mid 70's and beyond had a simple snap.  That case looks older.  I'm wondering if the case is the match for the reel?   :-?

I'm thinking early 70's. The leatherette cases in the mid 70's and beyond had a simple snap. That case looks older. I'm wondering if the case is the match for the reel? :-?

I checked up on that because I was thinking the same thing, but it is definitely the original case for that reel. (At least the one he bought with it, who knows what case might have come with it at the type of store he bought it at). That is actually what originally confused me because the early seventies models had nicer black leather cases, very unlike the brown one I have here.

I believe your reel is a "67".The "Big A" Series started in the early "70"'s,and the beveled side plates replaced the grooved side plates in "73".The brown case is the correct one for this reel.The black cases came out in the "70"'s.Looks like your Grandfather took good care of the reel.

Thanks Oldschool, you really know your reels, and yes I was very surprised by how good of shape the reel is in. Thanks for your input

If you need any more info about your Abu, go to:

www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard//index.html

and put it up for answers. There are people over there born with Ambassadeurs in their mouths. There is so much knowledge over there it will freak you out. Smoochies

It's amazing how many Ambassadeur nuts are out there!I bought my first 5500C back in "77",and haven't stopped.

post-12924-13016292736_thumb.jpg