Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

New Revo STX

Anyone here have any experience with the new revo STX? I am looking into getting my first baitcaster and was wondering how the new STX performs. After reading a lot about the older STX the only complaint I can find consistently is about the linear magnetic braking system. How does the new hybrid braking system perform? Also, I tend to cast lighter baits, often in the 1/4 - 1/2 oz range. How will this reel handle these sizes. I know that is a lot to ask, especially for such a new product. Any info at all from anyone with any experience would be very helpful.

I've owned 2 for the last month and a half. So far I think the STX is a very nice reel.  I like the comfortable, low profile and they're very smooth.  

My favorite feature is the spool tension function.  It has a knob thats clicks in tiny increments, which makes it easy to dial in your reel so that backlashes are very, very uncommon.  I tend to leave my magnetics at about 60-75% on all my reels and then just adjust the spool tension, usually on the loose side.

I think it would be good for a first baitcaster, although a little on the expensive side for a beginner IMO.  

Not to highjack this thread, but if I were recommending a rod/reel to someone new to casting reels, I personally would recommend Shimano Citicas on St. Croix Premier rods rather than spending $200 on a reel alone.  You won't find a better rod/reel combo under $225 than the Citica/Premier. It's a good place to start, and they won't break the bank so you can get a few that are suited to specific techniques.

Beaver, the reason I am looking at a $200 reel as my first is because in the past I have always started lower and worked my way up to the higher end gear rather quickly, spending much more in the end. I told myself that I would do my research and go straight to the mid to upper end gear from the beginning to avoid this money wasting process. Is the new STX significantly nicer than the Citica (I think it would be at nearly double the price)? Also, how do they throw lighter baits like those around 1/4 oz? Thanks for the input.

Beaver, the reason I am looking at a $200 reel as my first is because in the past...

If you get it, get it from *** while you can still get 15% off and free shipping.  I would also suggest you consider the Shimano Curado 200/1 E.  These 2 reels are very high end performers.

the reason I am looking at a $200 reel as my first is because in the past I have always started lower and worked my way up to the higher end gear rather quickly, spending much more in the end. I told myself that I would do my research and go straight to the mid to upper end gear from the beginning to avoid this money wasting process.

This is exactly what happend with me, I thought there was no need to spend lots of money for the beginners so I purchased 2 low-end bc reels. A couple weeks later, I ended up spending more money investing on higher-end reels afterall. What i'm saying here is that try to spend what you can afford for good/decent reels at the beginning so that you don't end up wasting $$ like me. lol

BTW, the redesigned stx & premier should be an excellent choice to go with if you have the $ ;)

Does the new STX have the HPCR ball bearings or standard stainless steal?

I looked at the new STX this weekend and like the old handle better.  The new one looks cheap.  Seems to me they could have polished it a bit smoother.  The finish on the handle doesn't look any better than on their cheapest reels.  

Is the handle still made from the same material (cold forged aluminum?) as the old one or did they change that with the new model? Also, I did find the handle on the older model to be a bit short. How does the size of the handle on the new model compare to the old one? Same size? I have to admit, I really like the look of that swept handle and drag star a lot from what I have seen in the pics online.

Is the handle still made from the same material (cold forged aluminum?)

No, it's not a swept version of the original STX handle.  It's a swept version of the same handle that's on reels like the C3.  

I love the old STX. If the new STX is as good as the old one, I'll have to buy 1 or 2 of 'em.