Sign in to follow this  
petervd

Advice on first baitcaster?

I'm relatively new to freshwater (mostly fish bass) and I am in love. I am in need of a baitcaster, I have only used some cheap spinnng reels.

I don't want to spend too much, $200 or less. That way I can learn on this reel and use it for a 6 months to a year and then I will have a good idea of what top level reel I want. I am also going to be experimenting with all kinds of baits and lures to see what I like.

Right now I am looking at either the Revo premier (not the 2010) or the Daiwa 153HSTA supertuned. How do these compare against each other?

Other reel options are welcomed!

I also have already bought my rod. A Powell Max 683cef.

Thanks!

for a first baitcaster id look at Abu 4600 C4's. they wont break the bank and will do most everything the high dollar LP reels will do.

If you haven't already, I would run a search for certain reels you may be looking at. You will find a lot on this site as well as others.

If I had to pick a first baitcaster for <$200 all over again it would be a Shimano Chronarch 50/51. They are getting harder to find, but some can be found brand new on the net for $180-$200. Some prefer magnetic breaking, but I prefer the centrifugal breaking. It was much easier for me, as a beginner myself, to get used to with the least amount of overrun.This topic has always been up for debate. Some new reels offer dual breaking w/ both systems.

Here are some reels that I would recommend trying out:

Revo S

Shimano Citica

Revo STX (I hated the SX, but the new one does have dual breaking)

Shimano Curado

Shimano Chronarch Mg50

Daiwa Sol

If you are using the 683 for more finesse apps then the last two would fit the bill. All will work,but these two were built for finesse. If you are trying to save some money then then last years Revo's are tough to beat at their price. You probably won't be able to decide what breaking system you like until you try them out so I would buy from a place with a return policy until you get comfortable with either.

Also, remember that baitcasters come in left and right side retrieve. This is also up for debate so I would recommend getting a good feel for one on a rod before you buy it. I happen to prefer lefties.  ;)