Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

Senko Spinning Rod

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a decent spinning rod (preferably in the $50-$90 range) for using Senkos. As of this moment I am using a 6' Medium, and I just feel like I'm not getting a powerful enough hookset. My favorite way to fish a Senko is weedless/weightless. I am thinking a Mojo 6'6" M, with an extra-fast tip would be good. What kind of rod do you use for Senkos?

I use an 6'8" MXF and have had no problem with hooksets. I don't use it if there is a lot of vegetation to deal with, then I usually go with my 6'6" MH. There is a whole section under Fishing Tackle: Senko FAQ - Lines & Hooks for Senkos - Senko Setup. Under Senko Setup there is alot of examples of what a number of the members here use, you may want to check it out.

I use a Cabela's XML 6'3" claimed to be Medium, but feels more like a MH.  I was throwing 5" sticks into wild rice beds and pulling fish up to 2lbs out on 8 lb mono with no problems.  Bigger fish would require heavier line, but the rod was easily up to the job.  I would get a 6'6" MH if I was going to dedicate one rod to sticks.

I have been using a 6'8" MXF Mojo spinning rod for weightless Texas  and wacky rigged senkos. Nice overall rod and plenty strong enough. Works well for me for this application.

you can't go wrong with a mojo

I have been using a 6'8" MXF Mojo spinning rod for weightless Texas and wacky rigged senkos. Nice overall rod and plenty strong enough. Works well for me for this application.

I use the same rod in the legend tournament line. I think you'll be happy with that length and action

I prefer a mh rod for senkos.  I use G. Loomis 783 IMX which is a 6'6" mh for 4" & 5" wacky rigged.  When I go to a texas rig I throw it on a G. Loomis 843 IMX which is a 7' mh.  I have thrown on a medium action before but I like the mh better....just my preference.

7' Berkley Tactix Wacky Rod. It's a medium heavy spinning setup. Absolutely works great for feeling light ticks and hammering the hook home into tough ol' bass mouths. It's also a very affordable rod in the $50 - $60 range.