Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Shipping rods

Not really sure where to ask this question so I apologize ahead of time if it doesn't belong here, but how much will it cost to ship a 6'6" rod? And what is the best way to do this? I am thinking of listing a rod in the flee market but I have no idea how much shipping will cost as I have never done this before. I have the origional rod tube that the rod was sent to me in from TW so that is what I will use to send it in. I realize shipping rates may vary by region, I live in Southwest, CT if that helps. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Not really sure where to ask this question so I apologize ahead of time if it doesn't belong here, but how much will it cost to ship a 6'6" rod? And what is the best way to do this? I am thinking of listing a rod in the flee market but I have no idea how much shipping will cost as I have never done this before. I have the origional rod tube that the rod was sent to me in from TW so that is what I will use to send it in. I realize shipping rates may vary by region, I live in Southwest, CT if that helps. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm about to ship a rod for warranty repair and UPS gave me a quote for 10$ UPS ground. Just go to the website and use there calculator.

I always ship in 2" diameter well casing PVC.  Cardboard is just to iffy.  The last rod I shipped from St Louis to CA cost around $22 with $100 insurance with USPS priority.  ALWAYS buy insurance.  

I just received a 6'6" MH Avid casting rod in a PVC tube. Seller paid a little over $17 to ship it from MA to GA via USPS.  

ive received two rods recently. one was $19 from Jersey, insured. the other was from Illinois and i think it was $18, insured. both shipped via USPS

what ever you do , don't ship in cardboard tubes , use the grey colored pvc , the gray is rigid enough but not as heavy as ABS ....

Does USPS ship to Canada?

Yes.  I've never shipped rods though.  I imagine the costs would be higher.  

Is schedule 40 adequate?

I go to Lowes and buy 2" diameter pvc well casing which is schedule 40.  You can get 2 rods at most into those pipes.  If you need more room and have to go to 4" diameter, the weight of schedule 40 will really drive your shipping costs up.  

Does USPS ship to Canada?

Yes.  I've never shipped rods though.  I imagine the costs would be higher.  

Thanks.

what ever you do , don't ship in cardboard tubes , use the grey colored pvc , the gray is rigid enough but not as heavy as ABS ....

I just received one from a guy on here in a cardboard tube. No problems. i tried to bend and break t after seeing something on here about them. I couldnt.

the weight of schedule 40 will really drive your shipping costs up.

True, but the aggravation of a USPS insurance claim far outweighs those few dollars extra.

The heavy cardboard rod tubes are actually pretty good, less flexible than the pvc but when they can break instead of bending... so the risk is similar... the contents rarely survive either occurrence.

I just received one from a guy on here in a cardboard tube. No problems. i tried to bend and break t after seeing something on here about them. I couldnt.

i guess that's your call to roll the dice ..... :D