Sign in to follow this  
JigMe

browning reel

Hi guys. I have a two years old browning reel, but don't know the model number. Anyone know how to clean it, and lubricat it? I have been google the instructions for an hour, but no luck. Thanks in advance.

Hey Lee. Without a model # or name, it will be hard to help. We are fortunate to have our very own ReelMech as a member here and I'm sure he will chime in. Still need more info, though.

Do you not have the manual that came with it? If not, I'm afraid that the best that you're going to find on the 'net are places like reeldr.com that only offer PDF's of the schematic and no instructions.

Are you looking for info on just a 'field strip' type clean or an 'overhaul'? Have you done this before?

A lot of reels share so much in common design that one is a lot like another with just a few little changes that shouldn't present much of problem.

Hi Robe,

I actually found the model number, it is right on the reel. I have attached two pics.

Well, I bought it May of 07 at bass pro shop.  :-/ well, it is not an expensive model or anything...

BPS is the only company licensed to sell Browning® reels.

I would suggest that you contact Outdoor World Rod & Reel Repair.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=40&option=2

They more or less are the BPS service center, and are authorized Browning service...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Thanks ReelMech.

By the way, what is a 5:1:1 setup? I know it is a ratio of some sort, but don't understand it...man, should of pay attention in math class..haha...

Thanks ReelMech.

By the way, what is a 5:1:1 setup? I know it is a ratio of some sort, but don't understand it...man, should of pay attention in math class..haha...

5.5:1 = 5.5 spool revolutions to 1 complete crank of the handle..

Tight Lines!!!  

That reel was made by Quantum/Zebco when they had the rights to Browning Fishing.  BPS took over the rights in '03.  BPS would be responsible for any warranty work, but they won't have schematics on that reel.  Their rod & reel repair service (Reel Mech mentioned) would be able to take care of the reel for you though.

I am sure their repair service is excellent. I have just made a call to the service center, and they would charge me $55 dollars total for a full cleaning service. Well, that's more than I am willing to pay for a cleaning.

I am sure their repair service is excellent. I have just made a call to the service center, and they would charge me $55 dollars total for a full cleaning service. Well, that's more than I am willing to pay for a cleaning.

WOW!!! I bet it isn't that good.....

I guess I should raise my prices... :D

Tight Lines!!!

haha.... I went to dickssportinggoods this afternoon, and picked up a reel cleaning kit. So I am going to give it try, let's see how long it takes for me to break this reel.

Lee... that thing looks a whole lot like an old Shimano Bantam 100GT that I'm quite familiar with. How deep into it do you want to dig?

I have a Quantum EX250 that is identical to that. I took mine apart by first removing the handle and drag star. After that there's some washers underneath the drag star that are opposing, or go together like this ---> () and they just slide off. They are for applying pressure to the drag washers as you tighten the drag star down so they need to oppose each other, not go together like this (( Always like this ()

Then you'll need to unscrew the three pins holding the 2 sideplates on. They're the large knobby looking things sticking out on the crank handle side. Turn them counterclockwise and that will loosen them. That will let the sideplate where the magnetic brakes are come off and also let the spool slide out. There should also be 2 small screws on the side where the main gears are (the crank side). Unscrew those and it will let the sideplate where the crank was come off. You have to remove the crank handle and drag star first though. The sideplate won't come off by just simply removing screws only.

BE CAREFUL!! That reel has a flippin' switch and it has a spring that is under some pretty heavy tension. It can and WILL fly out on you and get lost in a hurry (if it doesn't hit you in the eye, you'll know exactly where it is then ;):D). I removed that spring with needlenosed pliers, or hold a cup over it as I take it out so that if it does fly up, maybe the cup will contain it so it doesn't go 20 feet across the room and land silently in the carpet making it nearly impossible to find again. Once the sideplate is off, the spring is free to travel and only stays in place due to the tension it's under.....so long as it's not moved AT ALL. Once you get in there, remove it FIRST THING!

After that, disassembly is fairly easy cause things will just come off without too much more difficulty. Many parts will come apart with no further tools. Lay them out in the order you removed them in so you can reassemble them in the same manner. I typically will break a reel down to where no 2 parts are still connected whenever possible so I can thoroughly clean everything. The instructions I posted here will get you through the roughest parts of that reel, or the questionable (how to) parts to remove. Once inside you'll see how stuff goes together and lines up. When you are inside it, spend some time just looking at it and watching how various parts work together as they are moved so you get a good idea how they go together again. Press the release button to see how the clutch operates, how stuff moves (BUT DO THIS ONLY AFTER REMOVING THAT SPRING, I found out the hard way on that and spent an hour looking for it one day). I spend longer looking at the inner workings of a reel than I do actually cleaning it when it's a reel I'm unfamiliar with.

For tools you'll need an adjustable wrench, a 1/8 slotted screwdriver, a #1 phillips screwdriver, and needlenosed pliers for the flippin' spring. You might also find use for a 1/4 slotted and #2 phillips as well, but I usually don't need those larger ones. I use the slotted screwdriver to break loose screws that are tight and then finish unscrewing them with the phillips. Don't use the phillips to break them loose, if they are tight the phillips will strip the heads instead of loosening them.

Post here or PM if you need additional help. I can always take some pics of mine and post them if need be. I don't use that reel anymore so if I disassemble it now and something happens then it's no big loss. As a side note, I got my version of this reel in 1996, it has 2 bearings and a 5.1:1 ratio just like yours. That may let you know something of its true age. Mine says EX250 model where yours says 350. Also saw yours has 3 bearings where mine only has 2 (350 model vs. 250). That's the only differences I can see. My 2 bearings are located on the main crank shaft, side by side, one roller bearing for anti-reverse and one ball bearing. Since I never disassembled a 3 bearing version then I don't know where the other bearing would be in yours, or if there are even 2 on your main shaft like mine has.

I do know you'll at least have the roller bearing on the main shaft. Watch as you pull off that sideplate where the crank was, sometimes the roller bearing will come off with it. The cage on the roller bearing for this reel is hex shaped and fits snuggly in place in the sideplate so it sometimes is hard to remove. Watch it though cause the sleeve that's in the center of that roller bearing will typically try to stay on the crank shaft as you pull the sideplate off. That will allow the bearing to come apart on you if that sleeve falls out of it. That's the only part of the reel I don't break down to nothing. I try to always leave the sleeve in the bearing. Had one fall out on me once and some of the bearing parts moved around and I had to fight with it to put it back together.

Also reeldr.com has some schematics of similar reels if you need to see some diagrams. I couldn't find my exact one on there but the EX500 is very similar, same as mine but has 4 bearings. They're listed under Zebco/Quantum schematics on that site.  Since yours is virtually the same it should supply you with some answers if you get stuck on how things go together or come apart.

haha.... I went to dickssportinggoods this afternoon, and picked up a reel cleaning kit. So I am going to give it try, let's see how long it takes for me to break this reel.

Be careful lose one part and your S O L.

According to my Quantum® schematics that reel was in the Quantum/Browning line up in 1994.

I'll bet you cannot get any parts for it...

It doesn't look like any Shimano® I ever serviced...

This was my first bait cast reel My dad bought it for me for Xmas along with a REM 700 BDL SS .300 win mag and a Leupold Long range model with the 30MM tube 8-25X Leupold VX-III

hell of a gift for a 13 year old!

Anyhow im rambling lol... I got the reel in 1995 and it was a pretty cool reel compared to the other stuff back then it casted pretty good and looked cool! a few months later once I learned bait casters I changed over to Daiwas and still to this day fish nothing but Daiwas.

that was SOME REALLY REALLY OLD STOCK if you bought it new at BPS.... If you really like that reel Ill go look for mine and if I cant find it ill give it to you. its mint not a scratch on it it was only used like 2 maybe 3 months. if you want it send me a PM and let me know and Ill go look for it and you can pick it up if you are close or ill send it to you. its wasting away and ill never use it again so if someone can get some joy out of it they can have it.

Be careful lose one part and your S O L.

According to my Quantum® schematics that reel was in the Quantum/Browning line up in 1994.

I'll bet you cannot get any parts for it...

It doesn't look like any Shimano® I ever serviced...

LOL...I think I need to get a Shimano...I took it part a'ight...but when I put it back together...it doesn't feel the same... :D

Thank you Rooster, I actually did took it apart...

This was my first bait cast reel My dad bought it for me for Xmas along with a REM 700 BDL SS .300 win mag and a Leupold Long range model with the 30MM tube 8-25X Leupold VX-III

hell of a gift for a 13 year old!

Anyhow im rambling lol... I got the reel in 1995 and it was a pretty cool reel compared to the other stuff back then it casted pretty good and looked cool! a few months later once I learned bait casters I changed over to Daiwas and still to this day fish nothing but Daiwas.

that was SOME REALLY REALLY OLD STOCK if you bought it new at BPS.... If you really like that reel Ill go look for mine and if I cant find it ill give it to you. its mint not a scratch on it it was only used like 2 maybe 3 months. if you want it send me a PM and let me know and Ill go look for it and you can pick it up if you are close or ill send it to you. its wasting away and ill never use it again so if someone can get some joy out of it they can have it.

ohh wow, i didn't know this reel was made 13 years ago. No wonder that d**n salesman promoted the hell out of it, and I ended up buying it.  :-[

The reels frame is graphite, the side plates are probably a light plastic of some kind and when you broke them open the frame flexed and that is why everything feels herky jerky and tight.

You will spend some time taking it apart and rebuilding and trying to get it to free up.

I would place it in a box, and leave it for winter time, then get a reel that hasn't been discontinued...

hahaha....that's probably a good idea reel machanic. I will just finish this year with this broken reel, then go for a shimano next april. I really appreciate your help.

I'm more curious as to which BPS had a reel this old in stock.  Which location?  Was that location even open 13 years ago to even have a reel this old?

I got it from Toronto, Canada at March of 2007, since I worked there for 2 years and half years. Got a browning spinning reel at the same time, I think that model might 10+ years old as well. I am not sure when that store opened, but they those reels on sale so I picked it up for a decent price.