Sign in to follow this  
dave

Abu Garcia EXT problems

I have been fishing Shimano for over 15 years. I had 5500C's and C 3's before that. I always wanted to try one of the EXT's. I had a chance to get one for a decent price this past winter. MAN am I having trouble with the linear magnetic break. I know Micro has experience with these, does anyone else? I'm ready to sell and get another Shimano. Or, relegate it to striper fishing. But, man is it smooth and strong. Casting is baffling me. Any pointers?

I had one for a while and found that the brake wasn't ideal for my style of casting. I use a snap of the wrist, kinda like cracking a whip, and the EXT would backlash almost every time. I don't have that problem with centrifugal brakes, so I sold mine and went back to what works for me.

It took a while for me to get used to mine.  I have three pros, set the mag brake higher than you would normally, and then set the tension to where the bait barely moves, I know it sounds like this setting will result in short casts, but trust me it doesn't.  I posted last year about getting used to mine, with the above reference setting I was getting 150+ feet on a 5/8 ounce casting sinker.  Also anything less than 3/8 of an ounce or so, and you will be sorely aggrevated with the reel.  Through practice I can now use down to a 1/4 ounce with mine, but it isn't worth the hassle, I have other reels that are better for that.  

I haven't owned one for some time.  But I do remember it was best with heavier baits.  And as retiredbosn said, it takes a bit more brake than, say, the Revos.