Sign in to follow this  
YeahSure

Putting line on a spinning reel

Is this difficult? would i be able to do it without any trouble or would it be easier to try and take it to my local tackle shop or bass pro shop and see if they will do it?

You don't have to go through all that trouble. Just make sure the line going on the spool of your reel is the same way it comes off of the spool on line (ie. your reel spins clockwise, so set the line on a table to it is coming off counter-clockwise). Most lines I have used you can just lay the line spool label side up and reel it up. Pretty simply, but can be a pain if you get it wrong. If it is braid just reel it on in, it won't make a difference either way.

I made a quick rig, and it works great.  a nail in a 2x4, and then i put the nail through the hole in the spool.  Line never twists, and goes on easy.

I put the line a the floor..label up, right below the rod tip. Sitting in a chair i just reel it up.  DON'T OVER FILL YOUR REEL!

On a note a few of argue about this situation every year. Some guys swear you put it on the same way you do a bait caster. Ya know, put a pencil through the hole and take it off the top of the reel.  The thinking is you get no coil in the line. I do not beleive it myself. But, both fellas are very knowledgable fishermen.

Anyone else ever heard this?

The secrets:

1.  As said above, never, never, never overfill the spool.  Leave at least an 1/8 inch clearance.

2.  Use Kevin VanDam's Line and Lure Conditioner, Real Magic or plain silicone as a lubricant. Wet a spot on a wash cloth and run the line through the wet spot when spooling.  Spray the line on the spool during the spooling process, to make sure it is saturated with the lubricant.

3.  If you are throwing baits that spin, use a swivel on your line above your bait.

4.  ALWAYS pull the line tight before starting to reel when fishing.

5.  If the line does twist, KEEP BAIL CLOSED and loosen the drag and pull the line off the reel and then reel in the line, holding it in one hand to make sure it goes back on the spool tight.  If you open the bail, the line will spin off the spool and you will have a big mess on your hands.

6. Follow the reel's line specs, meaning if the maximum test is 10-pounds, don't exceed 10-pound test.

7.  When fishing after your line has been on the spool for a time, you can:  

A) Tie line to a pole or fence, walk away and tighten the line a few times before reeling it back in through the wet spot on the wash cloth.

:) Remove the spool and place it in very warm, or "light" hot water in your bathroom sink, for a few minutes. Then do A above.

I do A to try to stretch the line and then run it through the conditioner. Seems to return the line to some semblance of freshness.

8.  If you are still having problems, re-spool using fresh line.

Spinning tackle is lots of fun to fish as long as the line behaves.

Good luck.  :)

Good advice so far. Add to that ALWAYS close the bail by hand after casting. NEVER use the handle to snap the bail shut. Although I will do that as an 'emergency brake' if I see my bait heading for the trees or other obstruction.....

Follow the first two sentences of ALbasser's advice. However, and I've said this countless times, ignore the label position. Firstly, the label position has nothing to do with the physical process of spooling line, and secondly, label positions are inconsistent and I've always had lines with labels going both ways, sometimes both ways on the same brand.

On a note a few of argue about this situation every year. Some guys swear you put it on the same way you do a bait caster. Ya know, put a pencil through the hole and take it off the top of the reel.  The thinking is you get no coil in the line. I do not beleive it myself. But, both fellas are very knowledgable fishermen.

Anyone else ever heard this?

Yes, but we shouldn't generalize. I know from personal experience that both Daiwa and Shimano have instructed to spool the reel as you describe for a baitcaster, but these instructions are given only for reels that have an anti-twist line roller. I have found that this works well on these reels, but the old-fashioned way does also.

My advice is to consult the reel's instructions and if there's any doubt, do it the old way by laying the spool flat such that the line comes off counterclockwise.

I got my line on my reel today, but sometimes when i open the bail line comes off and gets all around the reel... does this mean it was put on backwards or that there is just too much line on the reel?

what type of reel are you trying to respool?Type of line(mono or fluoro) and what is the rating(8lb,10lb,12lb)?  

what type of reel are you trying to respool?Type of line(mono or fluoro) and what is the rating(8lb,10lb,12lb)?

Its a shimano symetre spiining reel. im using yo-zuri hybrid so flouro-nylon blend and its rated 8 lb test

8lbs line should work nicely.I assume you are putting it on a SY2500FJ model? Anything small might give you problems. I use the hybrid Ultra soft in 6# test...I'm not sure how much stiffer the 8# test hybrid is.Maybe somebody can tell you the difference here.

You might have put it on backwards, if so take Marty's advice if that's the case.If you filled it all the way to the rim of the spool you put too much on.  :)

The more you do it the better you'll get at it.I think it's a big waste of money to have somebody else spool the line on for you.I don't know why but i feel better when i put my own line on knowing i did it right and not re-spooled it so tight like some of the guys at the store tend  to do.

Any time I've bought line and just happen to have my reel with me the stores spool it up at no charge.

Usually I spool myself and I want to just get the line on the reel, then I always troll it out, then it's perfect.

Don't think I noticed this in anyone's reply. When you set the line on the floor, run the line through all the eyes on your rod. Put some pressure on the line while reeling it in. Make a few turns with the handle. Drop the tip of your rod down towards the spool of line. If it kinks up, turn the line spool over. I have a Symetre and it sounds like you have too much line on :)...

skillet

Sahara's & Symetre's require the line "spooled" on - like you do with a baitcaster - as opposed to laying the line spool on the floor and "spinning" it on.

Check your owner's manual on any reel you buy today.

I have that same reel and use 8lb test YoZuri Hybrid and have no problem with looping off the reel.  I like the combo a lot and use it for tossing light stuff -- but, more often pitching Sinkos and other creatures into tight places.  It works much better than using my baitcaster.

I always run it out behind the boat after respooling. Takes the excitement out of the thing.