Sign in to follow this  
bilgerat

Broke my Avid... UPDATE

:'( She broke at the tip tonight. Not a clean break, it kind of splintered. I'm bummed out. My first high end rod and it's been a great one for me. Not sure if it's a defect or something I did. I'm sure they'll figure that out.

I'm sure the fine people at St. Croix will take care of me. I still have the trusty Triumph as a backup....

They wont even ask.  Just put it in a rod tube and send her back.  You'll have a new rod before winter sets in.

Bilgerat,

I broke my Avid two weeks ago while pulling up some slop.  Go on their website to get the address to ship to and mail them a $20 check (to cover the shipping costs).   Write them a letter and tell them what happened.  Within days, they will call you and let you know about replacement and if you want to upgrade.  I decided to upgrade to the Legend Tournament line.  My new rod should be here today.   :P

Also, if you have any older St. Croix's in your house, you can talk to customer service about upgrading those as well.  I have another Avid that I use for finesse fishing that I will mail back when I receive the tube with my new rod.  FYI, finding a tube to ship is difficult.  Go to UPS, they'll tape 2 tubes together to mail your broken rod to St. Croix.

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to them this morning by phone. Great people. I'm shipping it out to them wrapped in foam pipe insulation inside a PVC tube.

my 7 foot MH avid is my fave rod I own and I think I would cry if I broke it but then again thats what lifetime warranties are for. Good luck. Keep us posted, Im curious how long it takes to get a replacement.

St Croix took pretty good care of me too. The difference was that the break was my fault (don't wanna talk about it). So I had to go with the Gold Star Warranty service which cost $50. Their customer service was great and I had my brand new Mojo back in less than two weeks.

I sent the rod out on 10/6 ($10 shipping through their Fed Ex shipping discount program :P) They recieved it 10/9

I got a call from them today that they will be replacing the rod under warranty. He also explained the upgrade program where I could trade up the Avid to a higher end model if I wanted, paying the difference based on a pro rated scale. I chose not to at this time, but the option is always available.

They were great people to deal with. This is my first high end rod and the first time dealing with them for a warranty issue. They treated me right and I'll be buying more of their rods in the future.

That's great to hear.

I have to St Croix's... nice to know if anything happens it won't be a big deal.