Sign in to follow this  
Paul Roberts

Series One

According to Berkley website IM7. I did some research on these rods recently. Anybody like or dislike these rods?

I should throw in that the specific rod I was referring to was the flipping rod. I do not know about the others, but I'm sure they are IM7 as well.

Good rods for the price, but now that other mfg's are coming out w/ rods in pretty much the same price range; it's okay.

Check out the new Abu Garcia Vendetta & next year Lamiglas is coming out w/ a U.S. made rod for under $100 & it's split grip.  The Vendetta has better guides on for the same price for a Series One.

I just noticed they are one sale on Cabellas website if you didn't know.

The Vendetta seems like a great rod for the money but I can't get past the modern styling. I may as well be holding a lightsaber  8-) Looks don't make or break the rod, but I prefer the classic styling.

I may as well be holding a lightsaber   Looks don't make or break the rod, but I prefer the classic styling

Amen to that.  I am pretty tired of the whole JDM look.

I had an older Series One Accuflex spinning rod.  I loved it.  Was eaten by a ceiling fan.  Sad part, it wasn't even on.  That rod had a really great grip:

246744166_mA5bH-M.jpg

Well, mine came today. UPS driver is a fisher too so we opened it together lol. He helped me unveil a Techna AV the other day too. He likes delivering to my place. ;D

No real review here as I ain't fished it. At the outset it looks nice. Nice balance/feel: stiff as a soda straw -like that! I'm sure it will handle spinnerbaits just fine.

The guides are those SS inserts -been around a long time. People complain about them not being a ceramic -looking cheap -but years ago a Daiwa rep told me they were very good super light and long wearing guides but that they wouldn't put them on higher end rods bc peole think they are like the old chromed metal guides. Don't know the techie details though. They ARE tiny and light. I like 'em.

Cons:

Despite it's nice rigidity and balance, it's heavy: 5.3oz. That's more than the same length and action $40 Shimano Convergence (IM6) I was replacing it with -at 4.75. The more I see of Shimano rods in general, the more impressed I am.

But the truth will come out in the fishing. Sensitivity is a combination of weight, rigidity, and (maybe) balance. Balance I can adjust, the other two you pay for. It appears the "extra" mass is in the built up butt section of the Series One. Put a reel on it and the tip appears to "disappear". The Convergence lacks this hunk-o-material at the butt, but it feels more rubbery -the IM6 I suppose. When I hold the Series One, I can already feel those spinner blades! We'll see.

Con #2: The old ABU Ultra-Mag XLT2 I was going to use on it just barely fits in the reel seat! Bummer. There's a hump in the seat that gives barely enough clearance for the reel foot. I have to crank down to max to get it to stay put. I might be able to shave the seat down a bit but it's got some kind of rubbery no-slip coating on it so it won't be pretty. Might just need another reel :D . Won't my UPS driver be happy.

BTW: I like the high tech split handles. The first Kistler Helium i saw made me drool. I bought one (7fter at 3.8oz 8-) With a USREEL 230 the whole rig weighs less than all my other spinning reels alone.) I like high tech as long as it's useful. I loved Tennessee handles: Nothing like taping your reel on. Some of the new toy handles are ridiculous though. "Light saber" is a good description.

Hey J, that's quite a shirt you have there. Does the whole shirt look like that, or just that sleeve? :P Ceiling fan huh. Lucky I don't have one, cause I'm doing a lot of imaginary fishing lately too.

I keep going back and forth to Cabela's website nearly clicking that button... but I keep forcing myself to close the page.

I have a few Lews Speed sticks with Tennesse handles I use for smallmouth fishing. Nothing like jerking a small lip backwards with one of those  ;D I found some big heat shrink to hold the reel on and it works great.

I keep going back and forth to Cabela's website nearly clicking that button... but I keep forcing myself to close the page.

I have a few Lews Speed sticks with Tennesse handles I use for smallmouth fishing. Nothing like jerking a small lip backwards with one of those ;D I found some big heat shrink to hold the reel on and it works great.

Cool idea.

I keep doing that too -with a certain reel I would love to try. And I can really make the case that my old 80s Bantam MagPlus needs replacing. But I can also just put new bearings and drag washers in it.

Advice from someone doing the exact same thing. If the Series One will really represent an upgrade, and you won't endanger your family life -go for it. I'm not certain I gained all that much. Won't know until I fish it. And there's always next year, when I'll really be able to test things. I'm really into spinning tackle season now anyway.

We'll see if I heed my own advice.