Sign in to follow this  
hmongkidBee

Shimano reel question

Hey there I hope someone can help me with this.  I've been buying a lot of shimano reels and each box that I buy comes with WASHERS.  Now I don't really know what you would use them for or how do you use them?  This is kind of a newbie question but can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to use them?  I'd appreciate it. :D

If they are spinning reels, they are for setting the stacking of the line as it is going onto the spool.

Start with 1 washer on the axel just under the spool then as you spool line onto your reel you will notice if the line is going on in a level stack if not add another washer and so on...

If they are baitcasting reels then you will have to describe the washers, they could be extra drag spring washers shaped like so ( )...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

If you have the added washer in front or back the line is better to lay on the reel towards the back which cuts down on the bird nest.

I have a 4000 shimano spheros, the line laid on the spool perfectly.  Recently I added about a 100 yd(braid) instead of replacing the entire spool, now the line tapers towards the bottom of the spool.  I'm not convinced yet but I think the joining knot may be the culprit.  I have reeled in the entire spool under load and the situation still exists, that being said I see no performance reduction so I'm just leaving it that way.