Sign in to follow this  
mja900

what size rod

More info needed.

What type of baits will you be using ?

Will you be fishing open water ?

Will you be fishing from the bank with over head branches ?

Buy a $450 7' steez !  8-)

Seriously, consider all the points that Bass-Brat suggested and if you live near a Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas, take your reel to the store and put it on several rods and buy the rod that feels best and is within your budget.

Would getting a 6 ft rod throw lighter baits better than a 6.5 ft and 7 ft rod?

The length of the rod has nothing to do with what size baits you can throw, the action of the rod is what determines that. Also the line size, reel selection etc.

Power has more influence on the size baits, action defines how it will load, throw, and fish them.  All work in harmony.  You can go outside the rod's specified bait weight, and line ratings, but not too far, with out some sacrifice.

I'd say, for your 1st casting rod, and staying in a budget, any 6'6" to 7' Medium Power, Fast Action rod would be fine.  You can throw just about everything on a rod like that, and it doesn't have to break the bank.

What would you say would be the lightest baits you can get a good distance with a decent baitcaster. not the over one hundred bucks baitcasters but just a decent one. I throw 1/16oz jigs on my UL but im wondering if 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz would be too light to throw on a baitcaster?

1/4oz should be ok, I usually fish 1/4 and have on reels up and down the spectrum form a Quantum Code and Revo S to a Pflueger Patriarch and Daiwa Zillion

If you've never used a baitcaster, then anything less than 3/8 oz. is going to be difficult.  Learn how to walk before you learn how to run.