Sign in to follow this  
iceintheveins

Spinning Reel Anti - Reverse Giving Out

My anti reverse seems to be giving out on my Shimano Sahara spinning reel. It only slips very occasionally and it works most of the time.

Can an anti reverse be fixed or is it time for a new reel? I've had this reel and it's got heavy use since 2004. My experiences with other reels is that anti reverses are hard to fix and I have gotten other reels back with the anti reverse supposedly "fixed" but it still does the same thing.

iceintheveins,

Can an anti reverse be fixed or is it time for a new reel? I've had this reel and it's got heavy use since 2004. My experiences with other reels is that anti reverses are hard to fix and I have gotten other reels back with the anti reverse supposedly "fixed" but it still does the same thing.
Yes they can be fixed. Ar or one way bearing packs on spinning reels should get NO oil or grease inside them. I am willing to bet that you have been oiling your reel at the spool axel or even in the port hole and the oil has worked itself into the one way bearing. This will cause intermittent working properties in the AR. ..

The fix: remove the one way bearing pack deep clean, dry and reassemble dry (in the future keep all lubrication away from the AR)

One way bearings in BC reels get a light swab of oil after deep cleaning...

Hope this helps you out, if you have the schematic/s for the reel/s it will help in the removal of the AR pack and its replacement...

Tight Lines!!! 

Most of the time I can clean my clutchs and make them as good as new.  I have however, worn 2 of them completely out and had to buy replacements.  The replacements were only about $15@.

I don't oil or grease my reels myself, I had someone else do it at a sporting goods store. It started doing it after this only. So yep, I bet they got stuff in the clutch bearing. >:)

The one-way bearing (AR) will have to be cleaned and dried out.

Then re-assembled without.

:)