Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

Shimano Citica D upgrades

im not buying any more baitcasters for a while and i would like to get as much as i can out of my citica 201d. i know a few guys on here have upgraded bearings and drags but i am clueless on where to start looking and whats good and whats not. what all can be done and how simple is it?

i do have tools and i am pretty good with schematics.

the reel will almost always see freshwater but may encounter salt a couple times in its life.

i would rather do it myself to save in shipping costs and turn around time.

I didn't say send him your reel . I said send him a PM to get some info from him.

I didn't say send him your reel . I said send him a PM to get some info from him.

woah.  ;D

ill shoot one his way.

Smooth Drags is where you want to look.

Yup bearings and drag pads...

Click the link on the bottom of this reply for ~OilGreaseBearingsDrags~

or PM with the questions......

Tight Lines!!!

what all can be done and how simple is it?

i do have tools and i am pretty good with schematics.

the reel will almost always see freshwater but may encounter salt a couple times in its life.

reels aren't super sophisticated...after a few times of tearing them down...its a piece of cake...

just really watch how you take it apart & lay out the parts in order as they came off...after several break downs you won't even need the schematics...

if you have other junk baitcasters, you can use some parts like E clips...many are the same size if you lose one or bend it etc...

2 things to watch putting the reel back together...the spring washers...make sure they go back on with a small gap inbetween, they face opposite of eachother...like ---> ()

then make sure the release is engaged & is pushed up...as in hold it up when you put the right side plate back on & tighten down...

also when pulling bearing, tap them out(left spool sideplate bearing) or push out with a q-tip(spool tension bearing)...don't use anything that will scratch the inside bore hole...

its nice to do work on your own gear...ya learn & you can always keep your reel performance top notch...

In addition to switching to ABEC 7 pinion and spool bearings, I changed out the drive gear, pinion gear and key washer from a Curado 200DHSV to make my reel a 7:1.  I upgraded the drag washers to Carbon Tec for the Curado DHSV size.  This is an incredible reel.