Sign in to follow this  
Big O Tires Angler

Fixing bent rod guides?

So being the stupid guy that I am...I'm swinging my rod around feeling the action and I get it caught inside a battery wrack and bend back 2 single foot guides below the tip. It cracked the epoxy and bent the guides down a little bit... What's the best way to fix it? Should I just slowly bend them back into shape and then add a little bit of epoxy? And will this be a permanent repair? Do I need to worry about the guide falling out?

I'd try bending them back and see how it goes.  If it looks ok then add some epoxy, if not then have them replaced.

Just bend it back into place. If it falls out or breaks off, get it replaced.

You can try to bend them back but it will not be the exact same as it was originally. The guide wraps could have been hurt when the epoxy cracked. The best way is to cut off the damaged guides check the rod blank for damage and re-wrap NEW guides in place...

This isn't anything that can be done by you (unless your a rod builder), or any local tackle shop (unless they build rods)....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!! 

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I slowly bent the guides back into shape and looking closely it looks like the guide foot did not move under the wrap. I used a toothpick to add a little bit of JB weld and it looks to be fine. Thanks again guys!