Sign in to follow this  
Skeet22

Bench tested 12# Berkley Vanish

Broke at 8 pounds every time in the middle of the line not at the knot. Cant wait until my Yo-Zuri comes in the mail so I can this stuff off my reels asap. 10# P-line CX broke off at 11# and had less stretch than the vanish....I now beleive all the bad reviews ive read on this line.

That is with a strait pull. Impact strength will be much less. That's why people break the line on the hook set all the time.

Add in abrasion, or other issues and strength will go down even more.

The impact strength is an issue with most flourocarbons. Especially relative to mono or copolymer. Speaking of copolymer I'm convinced tying a copolymer knot is a sure fire way to have terrible knot strength with Flouro. The kink you put in the line, especially when threading through small hook/jig eyes becomes a breaking point.

FWIW I did the same test with 8lb Viscous Flourcarbon and I came up with almost 10 lbs break strength and impact strength best I could tell was closer to 8lbs. I simply bounced the weight I was using vs just picking it up slowly. Everyone says this line is junk so Vanish must be really bad.

Yep, The Hybrid is the way to go. The line is so good I don't bother going out on tournament day I just sent the line.

I think you all are making to much of the different lines. I use it all, but I don't think hybrid is any better then a good fluorocarbon.

Did you buy it at Wal-Mart?

Also, how did you test it?

Actually yes I did buy it from walmart. I tested it by using a polomar knot to the scale eye and also to a metal ring then slowly pulled until the line broke. The 10# P-Line out did the 12# vanish everytime. Neither of the lines broke at the knot but in the middle each time. I am sure there are better performing flouros out there but for now I will stick to co-poly . To each his own. :)

P-line did OK because they send 12-14lb line in a 10lb box.

Compare their lb test rating to diameter vs other lines. Especially the cxx p-line compared to other lines.

Did you buy it at Wal-Mart?

Also, how did you test it?

Actually yes I did buy it from walmart. I tested it by using a polomar knot to the scale eye and also to a metal ring then slowly pulled until the line broke. The 10# P-Line out did the 12# vanish everytime. Neither of the lines broke at the knot but in the middle each time. I am sure there are better performing flouros out there but for now I will stick to co-poly . To each his own. :)

The Vanish from Wally World is generally very old and exposed to some temperature extremes. I know Senko77 use to use it  and noticed the same thing I did. When bought from other places besides Wal Mart it isn't terrible.

Now Vicious just plain sucks.  ;D

That is with a strait pull. Impact strength will be much less. That's why people break the line on the hook set all the time.

The impact strength is an issue with most flourocarbons. Especially relative to mono or copolymer. Speaking of copolymer I'm convinced tying a copolymer knot is a sure fire way to have terrible knot strength with Flouro. The kink you put in the line, especially when threading through small hook/jig eyes becomes a breaking point.

FWIW I did the same test with 8lb Viscous Flourcarbon and I came up with almost 10 lbs break strength and impact strength best I could tell was closer to 8lbs. I simply bounced the weight I was using vs just picking it up slowly. Everyone says this line is junk so Vanish must be really bad.

what's a copolymer knot?

what's a copolymer knot?

Palomar knot.....Thinking of the real solution in Y/Z Hybrid, while thinking about knots at the same time.