Sign in to follow this  
golf n fish

Ultralight baitcasting setup?

What's the lightest baitcasting set-up y'all use?  I find that I enjoy fishing with light tackle, but I hate spinning rods.  Anybody use 6lb test on a baitcaster?  What type of setup would you recommend?

david

What's the lightest baitcasting set-up y'all use? I find that I enjoy fishing with light tackle, but I hate spinning rods. Anybody use 6lb test on a baitcaster? What type of setup would you recommend?

david

I've been using a BPS Pro Light Finesse reel with 10lb 100% Flourocarbon, on a 6'6 MH Falcon rod to fish weightless 3.5" senko's wacky style all summer.

Works great. I can't imagine any reel could be much better for weightless/light weight lures.

I see no reason why you couldn't spool with lighter line.

I intend to spool all my crankbait reels with 8lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid this coming season.

I settled on a g loomis DSR822C. I wanted a rod near 7' with a bit of backbone to use with texas riged worms. I paired it with a curado e7 and right now its spooled with 6 lb yo zuri hybrid. The rating says down to 6 lb test and 3/16 ounces but I can cast a small rapala countdown a ways with 10 lb test. Due to the quality of the rod and reputation of the company its a bit pricey. The shaky head rods they offer also look pretty good. Unfortunately my local shop didnt have any

Ive used 6 and 4 on Curado 100D's  and 4 on Daiwa Sol's.  Put them on Crucial crankbait rods.  A few years back I found the ultimate ultra light casting outfit in a Abu International Series 1600C IAR on a Loomis Kokonee rod.  Using 2lb. mono it easily threw 3/16oz hardbaits.

I have two that I can fish small baits on and those are a Daiwa Sol on a 6'10" MH e21 Gold Carrot and a Daiwa Alphas 103 on a 7'M Daiwa Zillion.  Both with 8-10lb line can handle small Owner Cultiva 68SP jerkbaits and even fished a Yo-Zuri Snapbean on the Sol, didn't go far but was fishable.

No hardline budget really.  My PP is pretty stacked right now.  I guess I'd prefer to stay under $200, but mainly I like to buy stuff that I can sell later at minimal loss.  With most of my hobbies (golf, fishing, photography) I find that as long as I buy smart I can usually sell it for close to the same price.  Right now I have 5 rod/reel combos.  3 Citicas, 1 Curado 200, and 1 cheapo.  I have 10 lb fluoro on most of them, and it works fine.  I was just thinking that 4 or 6 lb fluoro on a light rod would be fun, but I hate spinning rods.  I'm catching mainly small fish around my house right now.

David

What is your total budget for rod/reel?

Can't go wrong with the BPS ProLite on a 6ft 9in ML BPS Pro Finesse rod. Find myself using it more and more. I currently have 6lb Yo-Zuri on it.

For that rod, a Daiwa Pixy would be a great match.  It will be way over your budget, but Pixy's always have a great resale value.

Another vote for the BPS ProLite reel. I've got it on a BPS Extreme 6' ML rod and throwing 1/6 oz baits. I've got 8lb mono on it now but might try 6lb when I re-spool in the spring.

I use a 7ft light action Falcon Cenderi for inshore fishing.  I pair this rod with a curado 200E7 spooled with 20lb braid.  This is a great combo.