Sign in to follow this  
SmokinBass

New Spinning rod advice

I have a pflueger supreme and Im looking for a new rod.  I like to cast far and use alot of jigs and rattles.  Atmost 1 oz lures, except for big rattles. I dont know a hole lot about actions and what not yet. Pretty new at all this.

I have a supreme 35 that I use for salt water on 8/17 med rod and I mostly cast 3/4 oz spoons.  It's plenty of rod for fish 20#.  For me, I would never use anything heavier than a med rod for bass( I normally use a light or ml rod), except if fishing from a high banked canal and that's only to hoist them out of the water and up the side of the canal, in a boat I go as light as possible and never use anything heavier than 15# braid.

if you want an all around rod to cast all kinds of baits get a fast action. if the rod is mainly for plastics and jigs, you might want to look into extra fast. for your lure weight range id also recommend med heavy as mentioned above. for spinning rods id recommend casting lighter baits than the 1oz and getting a medium or medium light for casting up to 3/8 oz lures, jigs, plastics. you could also use it for drop shot rigs and weightless plastics like senkos and wacky rigged worms.

do you want split grip or full cork?

look at rods between 6 and 7 ft long. shorter rods will give you better accuracy and skipping ability. i also like them for topwaters and jerk baits. a longer rod will give you better casting distance which is nice for clear water and when searching for fish.

if you have a little cash id look into st. croix starting at the avid series or g loomis starting with imx. both have great warranties.

other good brands from reviews i've read are dobyns, powell, shimano, all-star, rogue, fenwick, falcon...

hope this helps, do some homework and buy something you really like.

This weekend there are several places online with great deals.  *** and BassTackle Depot come to mind.

Both of these sites are offering 20% off, but they end on Monday at the latest.

With those savings, I'd recommend a Powell.  Both of these sites ship orders over $50 free, even rods.  You could have one delivered for about $110...that's a steal.

If your not sure about which model will suit your needs, check out the Powell website at www.Powellco.com.

Again, I'd recommend a long, MH rod.  I'd go with an X-Fast rod if you will use this rod for jigs/plastics the vast majority of the time.

A Fast rod would be the way to go for more of an all-around rod.

Hope this helps, good luck.  8-)