Sign in to follow this  
tnbassfisher

In need of a couple of Reviews.

I was hopping to get some info on two reels:

Shimano Sahara 2500

Shimano Citica 200 E

Also, if you could throw out a few rods that would be a good combo with these that would be great.

Thanks!

My Son has the 2500 Sahara..I've used it a few times, pretty nice for it's price range. I believe has it mounted on a Diawa Tierra, 6'6" mf, although I think it wouldn't make much of a difference if you used a longer rod, and a more stout rod.

The Sahara I have is also a 2500, mounted on my 7' Clarus m xf...I use 6# Yozuri Hybrid Ultrasoft line..It cast's a mile, a very smooth reel, I recomend it.

The citica is probably the best reel in it's price range by a large margin. I'd pair it with the new Abu Garcia Vendetta rods. I got to hold one today and like The Natural has been saying, it is VERY well balanced and feels like next to nothing while holding it. Plus being 80 dollars is another little bonus.

I really like the Citica E, I have several and at their price point they are a great value. That said you could save up a little more money and get the Curado. I have picked up "like new" Curado E's for less then the Citica E's retail price. The lowest I have paid for a like new Curado was $85 in the Flea market.

I have both, and they're my only two reels I use,  besides a Diawa Tierra.

They are both great reels. For the money they will give you more than what you payed for.

I want to get rods in the same price range from Shimano, like the Compres. From what I have heard, the 6'8" MXF Spinning for is a good all-around rod, and a 7' MH Casting would do just about everything.

Thanks for the help guys. I have been wanting one new spinning and one new baitcasting setup. I believe these are the two reels I am going to go with.

Now I just have to decide on the rods....... ;)

I have two Sahara FB's in the 2500 size, and I absolutely love them.

I have both mounted on my walleye slip-bobber rods. These reels have really taken a beating, and they are still buttery smooth.

The state of WI allows three lines a person, so when I'm anchored and fishing for 'eyes, I cast two slip rigs and I work another rod (casting cranks, jerks, jigs, etc).

I can't count the number of times I've been concentrating on my casting rod and heard a buddy yell Bobber Down! By the time I drop my casting rig and grab my slip/Sahara rig there is a ton of slack in the line, and this is where the Sahara shines. This reel picks up the slack so well, and winds it smoothly and knot free on the spool.

I first bought these reels a few at a time, hence I couldn't afford to bump-up to a Symetre or Stradic, and you know what, I have no regrets whatsoever; I'm very happy with these reels.