Sign in to follow this  
Edro

maintenance

Winter is setting in and it's time to reorganize, restock, and clean.  Just wondering how you guys clean your reels.  Mine are in bad  need of a cleaning. (long overdue) 

Some of my questions:

- Do you take the reel completely apart or just expose the gears?

- Should I use an oil, grease, or both?

- Do I use a solvent, or hot water?

- What brands of oil, grease, and solvents do you prefer?

I know people have certain preferences, I'm just looking for ideas.

IF you are mechanically inclined and REALLY want to learn, start with a reel you care the least about. You gotta start somewhere, no one was born knowing how to service reels. If mechanical things befuddle you even a little, then send them to Reel Mechanic. He will do right by you.

If you still want to take a shot at it, post back or pm me and I'll try to help.....

I have taken reels apart and repaired them for my dad and other friends.  I just have never cleaned them, just wondering about the steps.   Thanks guys i will send the higher end stuff to a reel mechanic and "play" with a couple cheaper ones.  Thanks guys.

Here's how I learn to service my reels.  Goto ReelMechanics web site and goto the supplies section (http://www.***/shopping/storefront.html) .  In that section Reel Mechanic has a book called "Table Top Reference Guide to Reel Maintenance."  Get this book as it's worth it's weight in gold and follow it closely.  As you get better at cleaning your reels by using this book, you will start to explore cleaning your reels in a little deeper fashion (e.g., soaking bearings, etc.).  Also, I get my reel cleaning and lubing supplies from Reel Mech, because I really like his grease and oil and the "Reel Scrubber" is an absolute must.  I hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you all for the kind words....

Yup there are tons of ways to learn maintenance for your reels, I support anyone that has purchased my book with help anytime they send me an e-mail with a problem they run into.

Understanding how to disassemble and re-assemble reels is only part of it. Understanding the modules and how they work is a big part. The one thing we have found since writing the book is that once the angler understands the internal layout and works of their reel/s they seem to be able to use them in a more efficient manner...

Our Reel Oil that we sell is in the same viscosity range as Shimano's oil (great for any stock ABEC3 and upgraded ABEC5 bearings)..

Our Lithium Gold gear grease is specially formulated to not be effected by heat or cold, and will give tell tale visual signs when ready to be cleaned and re-lubed (turns dark golden)..

We really recommend the Reel Scrubber. Because it is under pressure to help in the cleaning process by knocking any hard to remove grease from parts, plus it evaporates with very little if any residue left behind...

Good Luck & Tight Lines All!!!