Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Powell 704CEF vs 734CF

Aside from the additional 3 inches on the 734, how do these rods compare? Which has more backbone/power? Will the tip on the 704 feel that much faster than the 734? I'm looking for a powerful but sensitive rod to throw larger spinnerbaits in the 1/2oz - 1oz range and jigs in the 1/2oz - 3/4oz range. Which of these rods would you pick and why? Also looking at the MBR844 IMX, would I be better served just stepping it up to the Loomis?

For frogs, bump it up to at least a 5 power. The longer the better IMO, especially for frogs. Making long casts and trying to set the hook with a frog a mile out there can be a less then effective. I fish Dobyns rods, but they make the same lengths. I fish a 736 with my frogs in heavy weeds, and if I'm specifically fishing open water, I use a 765 just to make some long casts .

Brokeju,

I see that you prefer heavier rods, however I don't throw frogs often and am more concerned about this rod's performance fishing spinners and jigs of the before mentioned sizes. What do you think of the Champion Extreme DX 744C for these applications? My plan is to pair this rod with a Zillion and 12lb CXX. How do the 4 power Dobyns compare to the 4 power Loomis IMX/GLX rods (such as the MBR844)?