Sign in to follow this  
leslie_goes_mental

screeching noise on my cardiff

Hey guys,

Last weekend I used my cardiff for light saltwater fishing and my buddy sprayed this stuff on it that is supposed to prevent rusting from the saltwater.  Anyhow, I didn't fish the reel prior to going so I don't know if it was already screeching or if the spray had anything to do with it by getting inside to all the parts.  The spinning reels that were sprayed did okay but my cardiff would not cast, especially backhanded.

The lures wouldn't go no further than 10-15 feet.

What do you guys think is wrong?  I washed it up and all but now I don't even know where to re-grease it. 

Any similiar troubles before?  You think the spray had anything to do with it?

Thanks.

Is it a high shrill sound ?  You may have a dry bearing, dry spoolshaft and sometimes even a bit of oil or lubricant that is between the outer spool edge and the frame can cause a high pitched sound. Remove the spool and check that first.

That reel has ARB bearings (should be open) and is approved for saltwater use.  Check your spool support bearings.  They could probably use a good cleaning.

The spool bushing needs a drop of oil more than likely. That is the most common item that makes the reel screech if it is dry. This bushing will need a drop of oil a few times of year.

While you're at it check the levelwind(ex.pawl and worm)that moves the line guide.If sand gets in there it can damage the line guiding to the spool.probably not the cause of the noise but you dont want a whole new noise down the road

Good luck,good fishing,Merry Christmas

Just follow what Bantam1 suggested, I have found that bushing behind the engagement pin dries out and can cause a squeal. Another fix would be to replace the bushing with a properly lubricated stainless steel bearing pack...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!